Author Topic: Father of Thomas Fone born 1801, Stoke-on-Trent  (Read 706 times)

Offline PotterNo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Father of Thomas Fone born 1801, Stoke-on-Trent
« on: Wednesday 08 October 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've hit a bit of a wall and I was wondering if you could help me. I randomly came across a record from Knights solicitors detailing the sale of a cottage built by a William Fone (a potter) in Lane End, Longton (now in Stoke-on-Trent) around 1775 and I'm trying to see where this man fits in with the rest of my family who are all Fones baptised in Lane End. My family all have a connection with the pottery industry in this area but I can find only very sporadic traces of the Fone name in Longton before 1801.

The closest I've come so far is a Thomas Fone born abt. 1801 who married an Elizabeth Buxton (Buckstones) in 1825 and died in Stoke-upon-Trent poorhouse in 1881. This William Fone could easily be his father as the date fits. Frustratingly, there is no father named on the marriage entry for them. I've seen a few family trees researched on ancestry.com that suggest his father was also called Thomas Fone but they give no sources.

I found a Thomas Foan baptised in 1799 in Lane End whose father is listed as William Foan so this is a possibility. The problem is that the names William and Thomas are so common in my family that I've got no solid proof that this Thomas Foan born 1799 is even the same Thomas Fone born 1801. They could easily be cousins.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might find out the name of Thomas Fone's father if it isn't listed on the marriage entry? I'm hoping someone with a bit more expertise in tracing births in the parish records era might be able to help.

Thanks.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Father of Thomas Fone born 1801, Stoke-on-Trent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
In situations such as this, I've always gone about it like this: go through the PR's for the parish in particular, and extract all entries for the surname (or possibilities; don't rule anything out until otherwise proven). Check BT's as well, and look for any wills or other documents that might mention anyone with the surname. This sounds a slow process, but if it isn't a large parish, it may not take too long. You can then start to build tentative family groups.
Hope this helps.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline PotterNo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Are these parish records available online or would I have to track them down in the local records office?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 15:28 BST (UK) »
The full record is available at Stoke Record Office but here are the index details.
Feoffment of a cottage in Woods Lane, Lane End, p Stoke upon Trent  D4452/2/5/1/7  3 May 1787
Consideration: £10 10s A cottage built by William Fone of a piece of land in Woods Lane George Bott of Lane End, potter, to William Fone of same, potter

D4452/2/5/1/8  22 May 1812
Consideration: £19 William Fone of Lane End, potter, to John Hewitt of the Green Dock near Lane End, potter, and Ralph Steele of Lane End, liquor merchant, his trustee

It does seem to fit your facts and be in the area of Stoke that you family lived in.

Ciderdrinker

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
@Potter1, I'm not sure about the availability of the parish records online unortunately. However, you may be able to access them via your nearest LDS family history centre, if you are unable to get to the Staffordshire Record Office. I had a quick look, and your search has been compounded it seems, as the Longton parish register didn't start until 1764, as a chapelry in the Stoke upon Trent parish. So your search may then have to go to the Stoke PR's before that date. The BT's are held in Lichfield Record Office, and are only for baptisms and burials.
Hope this helps.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.