Author Topic: SALLOW in Kessingland  (Read 4622 times)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SALLOW in Kessingland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley just a bit more to add to the mix.

I checked the Beccles Independent/Congregational register and found the following:

Maria Sallows d/o William Sallows and Amy his wife of the parish of Beccles in the county of Suffolk born 9th day of November 1785 was baptised the 21st day of November 1785.

This couple also baptised Robert born 4th Dec 1787 baptised 8th Jan 1788

I couldn't see a Mary Ann (1790) within this register.

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annes - The info in IGI for Mary Ann is

Name:   Mary Ann Sallows
Christening Date:   06 Apr 1790
Christening Place:   INDEPENDENT,BECCLES,SUFFOLK,ENGLAND
Birth Date:   02 Apr 1790
Birthplace:   
Death Date:   
Name Note:   
Race:   
Father's Name:   William Sallows
Father's Birthplace:   
Father's Age:   
Mother's Name:   Mary
Mother's Birthplace:   
Mother's Age:   
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:   C07821-2
System Origin:   England-ODM
GS Film number:   825399

I can see by searching for children of William and Amy in the IGI that the transcription is of the records you are looking at. I am thinking that the Chr of Mary Ann with mother Mary is most likely an error of some sort, and that she is in fact a child of William and Amy, but I will leave her as part of my records for the time being.  I can see I need to research the William who married Amy.

Mary Wilson LARN nee CULLINGHAM who married William SALLOWS is my direct ancestor. William was her second husband; my relationship is from a child of her first husband. I am of course interested in her SALLOWS children, but my main aim is to find her circumstances of life after she married William SALLOWS and her death/burial.

Thanks for all your assistance. I think for now we should call this 'completed', as I hate to take up valuable time

SHIRLEY

Offline Wade A Sallows

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 February 20 18:24 GMT (UK) »
hello

i have been working on the family tree for years and this info is really confusing me
William Sallows is my 4rth great grandfather,Mary Lane is my 4rth great granny. they had 4 kids
William (1789)
Mary ann(1790)
James (1794)
John(1797)

but prior to that there was a woman named Amy which they had a Robert Sallows(1788),,
i have seen others family trees and they have Mary as Laan,Lane with all different dates
my info came from my Granny Sallows (Florence Tomlinson)(1899-1977) when she was alive but the part i'm confused about is i have seen Williams births on trees as 1742,1745,1762,...but all show married to Mary with same childrens names...

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 February 20 03:48 GMT (UK) »
A William Sallows married an Amy Hacon 5/3/1776 St. Michael, Beccles
hello

i have been working on the family tree for years and this info is really confusing me
William Sallows is my 4rth great grandfather,Mary Lane is my 4rth great granny. they had 4 kids
William (1789)
Mary ann(1790)
James (1794)
John(1797)

but prior to that there was a woman named Amy which they had a Robert Sallows(1788),,
i have seen others family trees and they have Mary as Laan,Lane with all different dates
my info came from my Granny Sallows (Florence Tomlinson)(1899-1977) when she was alive but the part i'm confused about is i have seen Williams births on trees as 1742,1745,1762,...but all show married to Mary with same childrens names...

William Sallows and Mary Lane had another child I.e. Martha bp.17/6/1792 Kessingland, bur.27/8/1816 Kessingland.

Definitely, Mary Laan, widow and Mary Lane are 2 different individuals.

A William Sallows married Mary Laan, widow, 2/4/1776 Lowestoft - cannot see any children born to them.

A William Sallows (original parish Southwold) married Mary Lane 15/5/1786 Sotterley, Suffolk.   They then had 5 children baptised at Kessingland 1789 to 1797.

From Kessingland burials William Sallows bc.1762, bur.8/12/1822, and his wife Mary bc.1756, bur.8/5/1823.

I suspect that William Sallows bc.1762 was the son of another William Sallows who married an Elizabeth Garrod 20/11/1759 Wangford (nr.Southwold).  Can see no baptisms to this couple online but don't think Wangford baptisms are available online for this time frame.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 March 20 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms back to 1754 at Wangford (near Southwold, in Dunwich Deanery) have been published by the Suffolk Family History Society. Among them is Mary, daughter of William SALLOWS and Mary late LANE, born 22 May, privately baptized 28 May 1786 and received into the church 16 September 1787. If the transcribed dates are accurate, she was delivered just a week after William SALLOWS of Southwold married Mary LANE at Sotterley.

Also baptized at Wangford were six children of William and Elizabeth (or Elasabeth etc.) SALLOWS between 1760 and 1775, including William in August 1762. His mother was presumably Elizabeth née GARROD or GARRARD (m. 1759; d. April 1785 aged 50).

Widower William SALLOWS married widow Elizabeth HUNT of Henham at Wangford in November 1785. Her first marriage appears to have been celebrated at Gisleham in 1768 with William HUNT of Brampton, her maiden name being FEN or FENN. She died in 1795 aged 48. Three children of William SALLOWS and Elizabeth (late HUNT or FENN) were baptized at Wangford: Esther (1786), Hannah (1788) and Robert (1791).

David

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 March 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
David - thanks for the update.  I am comfortable the Mary LAAN and Mary LAND/LANE are NOT the same person.  I am keeping the info on Mary LAND/LANE (amd her husband the 2nd William SALLOWS) within my database, even though there is no family link between her and me.