Author Topic: How can I find out why my ancestors moved to Scotland?  (Read 509 times)

Offline FionaL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How can I find out why my ancestors moved to Scotland?
« on: Thursday 09 October 14 00:43 BST (UK) »
My G G G G grandfather, James Tyson, was born in Cumbria in 1834. It appears that he came from a family of land owners and was himself a farmer.

My G G G Grandfather, William Tyson, was born in Appin in 1864 and my family have remained in Scotland ever since.

I am trying to work out what made James Tyson leave Cumbria and move to Appin, a remote coastal district in the Scottish Highlands.

Any help in tracing this reason or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find out why my ancestors moved to Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 01:35 BST (UK) »

County   Argyllshire
Country   Scotland
Registration district   Kilmore & Kilbride

James Tyson Head Male 36 Born 1835 Occ. Mason Born Cumberland Westdale

Serious amount of Castles and Country Estate houses being built in Victorian Scotland. Wouldnt surprise me that the demand for Masons outstripped local supply.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find out why my ancestors moved to Scotland?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
There were Cumbrian ironworkers in the west of Scotland from the 18th century, making iron from charcoal and clearing forests for this purpose and using Cumbrian ore, a practise frowned upon in England. The blast furnace at Bunawe on Loch Etive was apparently still in use until 1880, Appin is not far from there.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gairloch/g220.htm

http://oldappin.com/

Another possibility is civil engineering projects, railway construction, steamer piers, the Caledonian canal or even building the west coast lighthouses for the Stevenson's. Kilmore & Kilbride covers Oban where there would be no shortage of work for a mason.

Skoosh.