Author Topic: Searching for ancestors - Raymond Dubois St Marc born in Grenoble France  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Duboisstmarc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for ancestors - Raymond Dubois St Marc born in Grenoble France
« on: Thursday 09 October 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am researching a family member born in Grenoble France in 1874 named Raymond Dubois St Marc. I have been able to research this family name back 4 generations in Australia but am not having any luck with French records to search back further.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am unsure if the surname is joined by marriage but throughout the Australian records it is in full as above.

Thank you

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for ancestors - Raymond Dubois St Marc born in Grenoble France
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Good morning  and welcome to Rootschat
www.familysearch.org
when I put in surname Le Marc - thes came up - I wonder if it is a spelling difference that may have changed upon entry to Australia
Lemarque
Demarque
Marc
www.geneanet.org shows 3 familytrees for Le Marc - but all in Canada in Quebec
hope it helps
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have any indications of his parents (e.g. from marriage/death records in Australia?)

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/ shows Raymond Dubios St Marc (St Mare) naturalised in Australia in 1901.  This would be a very useful document if you don't have it already.

trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9540407?searchTerm="Dubois-St Mare"
 - this suggests his father was Edward "of Paris".

http://www.archives-isere.fr/2369-registres-paroissiaux-et-d-etat-civil-de-l-isere.htm
2 Jan 1874, the birth of Raymond Dubois (no St Mare/St Marc) was registered in Grenoble.
His father was Edouard Dubois, aged 46, an engineer (looks like he was in the "corps des mines") and his mother was Jeanne Alexandrine Blanche Dupre, aged 22.

So this is likely a short biography of his father:
http://www.annales.org/archives/x/dubois.html
Born 1827, died 1876 (unfortunately doesn't specify exactly where).  He was in Algeria up to shortly before Raymond's birth so may have married Jeanne there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 October 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Okay, found something of interest in Algeria.
http://gallica.bnf.fr
search for "Jeanne Alexandrine Blanche" (multiple hits in the same newspaper)

8 December 1939, Kouba (suburb of Algiers), death of Mrs Jeanne Alexandrine Blanche Dubois-Carriere, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother.  Named relatives:
Mrs and Mrs Etienne Dubois-Carriere, Mr and Mrs Guy Dubois-Carriere, Mrs (widow) Raymond Dubois Saint-Marc, Mr and Mrs Guy-Noel Dubois-Carriere, Mr and Mrs Deligne and daughter, Mr and Mrs Jean Averseng and children, Mrs Catherine Obrador and family.

We can find records by looking in the French Overseas archives.  First,
http://anom.archivesnationales.culture.gouv.fr/caomec2/
select "Algerie" as territory and you should be able to search by name.  The marriage of Edouard and Jeanne is indexed there (the plugin they use is giving me trouble so can't see the image right now) in 1872.

I would guess, though, that Jeanne's family were in Algeria, and that she returned there after her husband's death.

Offline Duboisstmarc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 October 14 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is amazing. Thank you so much for your help, I am moving through all the information you have found and am so grateful as I was getting nowhere with french records and have been trying to find this information for the last 12 months. I had found the name Edward on the naturalisation document but that was all.

Again thank you I really appreciate your time and am so glad I came across this website yesterday!

Jacqui

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 October 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
The issue is usually that there isn't a national index, and much of the data is not on big international paysites but on specifically French sites/archive sites.

Once you know a location, though, if the archives for that area have put their info online you can normally track it down.  Quite a lot of the French archives have gone the route of putting lots of images online rather than a single searchable database.  Normally this means that you need an exact location, but because there are original handwritten indexes in with the civil bmds you don't need the exact date.

The best place to look is the "departmental" archives (think county in England).  So example for Edouard it says "Né à Pont-Audemer (Eure)" - a search on Archives départementales Eure brings me here:
http://archives.cg27.fr/pages/index.html
"etat civil" is what you need for bmds but other records are often found online as well.

Where/when they picked up the additional names is not clear to me - perhaps it will become clear when you research the family further back.  They could be names of associated families.

Offline agatha_may

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 July 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it helps, but recently I found a headstone in Kembang Kuning Cemetery, Surabaya, Indonesia, that read : In loving memory of Raymond Dubois St Marc, born at Grenoble France, Jan ** 1874. Died at Surabaya, Java, May ** 1937. He climbed the heights of -**" Everything in ** and after that is scraped off/blurred. Hope that helps :)