Author Topic: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby  (Read 5742 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: George Chambers about 1796, Wragby
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those, I've finally tracked them down on the newspaper archive site.

The Nottingham Journal, Thurs 3 July 1879 has an article about a George Chambers of Worksop applying for relief for himself and his bed ridden wife. I know George was living in Union Street, Worksop in 1861 and 1871, returning to Lincoln prior to Sophia's death in 1880. I wonder if that article refers to him.

I've traced some descendants of George towards the present day but have several gaps still to work on, though I do know the following couple are different lines of the Chambers family tracing back to our rat catcher ancestor.

Arthur Henry Chambers was born 1914 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire and died 1962 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire. He married Louisa Chambers 05 Oct 1935 in St Faith`s, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. She was born 1910 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire and died 1990 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire, daughter of George Henry Chambers and Sarah Jane Underwood.

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the Worksop info. I knew that George was in Worksop, living with one of his daughters.

George Chambers was in court at Kirton, Lindsey, on 9th January 1835 for larceny...but this time was found 'Not Guilty'.

George was sent to the Prison Hulk in 1843.
Attested List of the 'Fortitude' Convict Hulk, Quarter ending the 30th Day of June 1843.
SB 8373  George Chambers   age - 47   Stealing Ducks & Fowls   Kirton   7 April 1843   7 years.

Attested List of the 'Stirling Castle' Convict Hulk,  Quarter ending the 30th Day of June 1847.
SB 1972   Geo. Chambers   age - 47    Stealing Ducks & Fowls   Kirton   7 April 1843    7 years
Remarks  -  Paid 13 May 1847

This George (1796) had William, who had James...who then had Robert. This is the line we go down. How Robert Chambers worked as a Forman Fitter at Fosters, in Lincoln. Robert worked on the first tanks during WW1. His son, Christopher Robert Arthur Chambers, rode in the first prototype tank, on Lincoln Common.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
James and his siblings, together with my line had a bit of a stranglehold on houses in and around certain parts of Lincoln. They often come up almost as neighbours in the later census returns.

I have the will of my great grandmother, Martha Thorbon Palmer, (late Chambers, nee Elmer), in which she names a grandson Robert Chambers, b 1932, son of her late son Frederick. He is a complete dead end in my tree, his mother died in 1933 and his father in 1936.  Martha was a Norfolk girl by birth, born in 1855 and became the oldest resident in Lincoln before she passed away in 1956.

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 October 17 06:45 BST (UK) »
What I remember....from a long time ago, is meeting an 'Uncle Arthur'. He lived up the top end of Lincoln. He was a small chap and all I can remember is, he was really nice. I don't think I talked much, but he and Father did...! How, Father said that he was the youngest son of Robert (Forman - tanks). Another brother, Frank, he had two daughters who we called 'The Chambers Sisters'. I remember meeting them.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 October 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
I'm heading into new territory now as I haven't done much from James Grandfield Chambers, I have a number of children for him and marriages of a few but precious little more recent than that.

Names in blue are the children I have found a marriage for

Generation 1

1. James Granfield Chambers was born 1848 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire and died 1909 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire. He married Mary Jane Dale 12 Oct 1866 in St Mary Le Wigford, Lincoln, Lincolnshir. She was born 1849 in Revesby, Lincolnshire and died May 1931 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire, daughter of John Dale and Sussannah Mason.

Children of James Granfield Chambers and Mary Jane Dale:

John Henry Chambers was born 1870 in Saint Mary Le Wigford, Lincoln, Lincolnshire

George Chambers was born ABT 1870 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire and died Jan 1874 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Robert Chambers was born 1873 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Elizabeth Chambers was born 1875 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Fred Chambers was born 1877 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire and died 1968 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Frank Chambers was born 1879 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire and died 1959 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Thomas Chambers was born 1881 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Margaret Ann Chambers was born 1884 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

George Edward? Chambers was born 16 Dec 1886 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Sussanna Chambers was born 1889 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Arthur Chambers was born 1893 in Lincoln, Lincolnshire

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 October 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
What I remember....from a long time ago, is meeting an 'Uncle Arthur'. He lived up the top end of Lincoln. He was a small chap and all I can remember is, he was really nice. I don't think I talked much, but he and Father did...! How, Father said that he was the youngest son of Robert (Forman - tanks). Another brother, Frank, he had two daughters who we called 'The Chambers Sisters'. I remember meeting them.

I wonder if the Arthur you mentioned here would be Arthur Henry 1914-1962? (son of Fred b1877). Arthur married Louisa Chambers who traces back through my line to Henry Chambers/Elizabeth Raby.

The burial register for Arthur shows his address at the time of his death to be 8 Tower Avenue in Lincoln.

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
My Uncle Arthur is this one -
Born 8 December 1892, baptised 12 March 1893 at St Mary Le Wigford, Lincoln.
Son of James Granfield Chambers and Mary Jane Dale.
He married Maria Ann Elwick in 1918
Lived just off Riseholme Road, Lincoln
Died 1987

Have you heard of the half brother to Christopher Robert Arthur Chambers?
Our Uncle Jim, who used to live in Canada? Same Father, different Mother.
James William Chambers was born on 4 April 1923 in Lincoln
Died in Vancouver, 2007

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
That's all new information to me

I'm guessing Bertha Sharp and Edith Brown are the two names mixed in there?

Offline Piglet 88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 17 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes ... that's our lot.

We have been looking at some more of the Chambers....not good news I'm afraid. Another story with violence and prison...!