Author Topic: Tables  (Read 4539 times)

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local to Essex Records Office.
    • View Profile
Tables
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
I notice here is a BB code option to insert a table. Is there any FAQ or info on how to use this?
Griffiths, Moore (Isle of Man) Parry (Manchester and god knows where!) Gooch (Hitcham, Suffolk) Clark(e) (London? and unknown) Sampson (London and possibly Brighton and Manchester)

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Tables
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, I see I have had 43 views and no replies! I guess this means that the table function is not widely used. A shame as it would be very handy to quote info from census etc without infringing copyrights by posting an image.

I have started to do some research myself, and forgive me if some of the post that follow are along the 'thinking aloud' line!

Firstly, I have found this site, which does the work for us. Also, we can look at the generated code and use the info to hand-build our own tables:
http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx
 Unfortunately, my first attempt has failed, or rather it has only half-worked, see below:

[th]First Name[/th]
   [th]Last Name[/th]
   [th]Relationship[/th]
   [th]Marital[/th]
   [th]Gender[/th]
   [th]Age[/th]
   [th]DOB[/th]
   [th]Occ[/th]
   [th]POB[/th]
WilliamParryHeadMM331818Powerloom overlookerPendleton, Lancs
IsabellaParryWifeMF251826-Manchester
The code generated was this:
Code: [Select]
[table]
[tr]
[th]First Name[/th]
[th]Last Name[/th]
[th]Relationship[/th]
[th]Marital[/th]
[th]Gender[/th]
[th]Age[/th]
[th]DOB[/th]
[th]Occ[/th]
[th]POB[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]William[/td]
[td]Parry[/td]
[td]Head[/td]
[td]M[/td]
[td]M[/td]
[td]33[/td]
[td]1818[/td]
[td]Powerloom overlooker[/td]
[td]Pendleton, Lancs[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Isabella[/td]
[td]Parry[/td]
[td]Wife[/td]
[td]M[/td]
[td]F[/td]
[td]25[/td]
[td]1826[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]Manchester[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

It seems that the 'table header' field is not being interpreted correctly.. A cup of tea, then, and some more head-scratching....
Griffiths, Moore (Isle of Man) Parry (Manchester and god knows where!) Gooch (Hitcham, Suffolk) Clark(e) (London? and unknown) Sampson (London and possibly Brighton and Manchester)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
As this is a How to use Rootschat board,it would really be the moderators ,Trystan or Sarah who would have an answer for you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
If then, we take out the
[th] tags and just use
[td], we get this:

First NameLast NameRelationshipMaritalGenderAgeDOBOccPOB
WilliamParryHeadMM331818Powerloom overlookerPendleton, Lancs
IsabellaParryWifeMF251826-Manchester

[table]
[tr]
[td]First Name[/td]
[td]Last Name[/td]
[td]Relationship[/td]
[td]Marital[/td]
[td]Gender[/td]
[td]Age[/td]
[td]DOB[/td]
[td]Occ[/td]
[td]POB[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]William[/td]
[td]Parry[/td]
[td]Head[/td]
[td]M[/td]
[td]M[/td]
[td]33[/td]
[td]1818[/td]
[td]Powerloom overlooker[/td]
[td]Pendleton, Lancs[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Isabella[/td]
[td]Parry[/td]
[td]Wife[/td]
[td]M[/td]
[td]F[/td]
[td]25[/td]
[td]1826[/td]
[td]-[/td]
[td]Manchester[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Which is better!

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:23 BST (UK) »

So to start a table:
[table]A table row
[tr]Individual cell in that row
[td]And so on.... HTH  :)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Well done!

I think the problem with the first one was that you had table header  th inside of a row tr

I think if you swapped the first tr with th (in your 1st attempt)  and got rid of all the individual th's then it should work
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 October 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am one of your 43 viewers who did not reply. Reason being that I had no idea what you were asking us as BB code meant nothing to me. Now that I understand your question, I agree that table functionality would be useful and have actually tried hitting the table button previously with a view to making my posts more easily readable. On seeing that it was coding rather than a blank table I decided not to bother. The current need to code the table means that it is highly unlikely that the average user will ever use it. Too complicated for those that are not computer savvy and too time consuming for those that are. Whilst I am capable of coding a table I have no desire to waste my little available time making my responses here look pretty. Time is better spent looking for answers for folks rather than presenting those answers in a table.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline wakou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
To an extent, I agree, Craclyn. However, we must not assume that everyone is unable or unwilling. Using the website above (http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode-table-generator.aspx) and simply unchecking the "first line is a header" box, gives us a simple neat and quick form to enter details, which is a two-click cut and paste. Easy-peasy! I will look into it further, and see if I can make things prettier, without making it too complicated or tricky to use. Maybe a mod might like to comment? We could perhaps have a table generator on the rootschat forum somewhere?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 October 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
I agree with Cracklyn  :D

You have to realise that the number of views for a topic does not indicate the number of people who have actually read that topic. For example, I've looked at it 3 or 4 times since the start after new replies were posted.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!