Author Topic: pitt farm broadclyst devon  (Read 1138 times)

Offline roo92

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
pitt farm broadclyst devon
« on: Sunday 12 October 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
I am brand new to all this. My great grandfather George Salter, aged 6, lived at Pitt Farm,according to the 1841 Census, with his father, Aaron plus about 14 siblings and half siblings. Next door, at Broomhill Farm, lived Aaron's brother, John, with about 20 more children by 2 marriages. Can anyone please help me with the details of both these premises both pre and post 1841 along with their occupants? Thanks very much, Ralph.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pitt farm broadclyst devon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 October 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at maps of Broadclyst? It looks like a fairly small place and some farms are named on modern maps. Also check www.old-maps.co.uk where you can enter a place name and then alternate between maps of different eras. You are unable to easily scroll around however I think this feature is enabled if you buy a subscription to the site. It may be useful if you have a lot of place names to search for.

I note that the writing on the 1841 census is not very clear, but you may also be able to narrow down the locations of the farms by looking at the addresses of the nrighbours in the home that one of those farms still exists or some recognizable street or landmark is named.

It's probably a bit of a tedious trawl.

Alternatively have you googled?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 October 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
Description of the enumerator's district for 1841:

All of that part of the parish of Broadclist from the Collumpton(?) Road, including Whitedown, the whole of Sp-eydown(?), north of the road leading from Broad Oak to Brook Hill.

If you can locate any of these places this should help you.  :) With so few people in the area these places may be quite a way apart. I have found Collumpton (Collumpton Road possibly the B3181?) and White Down copse for example which seem to be a fair distance from Broadclyst ....

PS Welcome to rootschat. :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat
This map shows Broom Hill Farm, but Pitt Farm is not shown. http://maps.nls.uk/view/101444065#zoom=5&lat=5509&lon=2854&layers=BT

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:50 BST (UK) »
Brook Hill and Broad Oak are also marked on that map Stan. Perhaps Pitt Farm is off the map to the north. :-\

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 October 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
This is the map north http://maps.nls.uk/view/101443789#zoom=4&lat=2137&lon=3410&layers=BT
There is a Poundapit Farm. This is an 1887 map so names could have changed from 1841

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 October 14 10:32 BST (UK) »
What I misinterpreted as Sp-eydown, I think might be Sprydoncote as seen on the first map Stan linked to.

It is possible that farm names changed over the decades. Shame, but At least we now have a reasonable idea where Pitt farm must have been.

Poundapit sounds temptingly similar to Pitt farm.