Author Topic: John Patrick Gray  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Tracy Mays-Saxby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Patrick Gray
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please, I am looking for John Patrick Gray born about 1833 maybe in Letterkenny, one of his children is James R Gray born about 1865. James R Gray went to Glasgow and started a family there, my great grandfather John Patrick Gray was born in 1895 in Glasgow.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Patrick Gray
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so James R. Gray might have just missed registration and then you'd need to search for church records.

If James R. Gray married in Scotland then his marriage certificate should list names of both parents which may help confirm any Irish records that are found. Where did you get c1833 as approx. date of birth for John Patrick Gray?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tracy Mays-Saxby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I got John Patrick Gray born about 1833  Letterkenny, Donegal  from a family tree on line, the rest of the information they had matched all mine so I was going with the fact that it might be correct as I had got stuck on James R Gray, I am unsure whether he married in Scotland as up to now I have not been able to find a record of his marriage in Scotland or Ireland. The Scottish census records for James R Gray only state he was born in Ireland not where.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Always best to do your own research since there are so many incorrect family trees online.

Start with what you know in Scotland. Look at the census records for James R. Gray- born in 'Ireland' but where was his wife born? if Scotland then chances are good that the marriage took place there also rather than Ireland. Scottish birth certificates list date and place of parents' marriage so a birth certificate for one of the children might lead you to the parents marriage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!