Author Topic: Familysearch.org problems?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Familysearch.org problems?
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 13:35 BST (UK) »

Hi folks,

I used to be able to use familysearch very well to help find records. But lately, it doesnt seem to update itself when you pick a date range, or place etc. Im using firefox.

Iver tried different browsers, and stopped all browser plugins but the site just wont function correctly. Anyone else having problems?

Cheers.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Familysearch.org problems?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
I have problems with it too - it just won't play ball on my pc.  I'm using firefox. Strangely it works on my work pc, which also uses Firefox. I get an error message saying "oops, we can't find that page" or something.  I can't offer any help or advice, but you're not the only one.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:22 BST (UK) »
I gave familysearch.org a try and found nothing wrong with it.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:36 BST (UK) »
I have found FamilySearch to be very helpful if you contact them about a problem.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
related turnips>

the fs.o site has problems of many facets....   too much information is sometimes too much information........

sometimes a parish record scope for a particular place simply does not exist, sometimes it wasnt microfilmed to start with......   sometimes fs.o programming can be a right pain the rear......
if you seriously cannot get finer points try using the dustydocs site and come into fs.o site using the links for each place...... then enter the name of folk you are after...... as an alternative....

the fs.o site has what I discribe as web design trying to be smarter than nessecary and the duplication of materials drives me absolutely batty, especially when I am trying to do parish reconstructions....... so hang in there.....

I would also like to point out if a page does not appear, sometimes it is better to disconnect and come back later as the servers may be overloaded......
 :)

POST SCRIPT

I would like to further point out that the principle of the fs.o is to electronically have the old International Genealogical Index online which was and is for the better part still available at public libraries. The IGI was done for the Mormons by the Mormons principally to see if members joining their church were exceptable in the eyes of their religious beliefs and morals of their church. In latter years once the IGI was uploaded to thier website the 1881 census was added, then other data followed. The fs.o is only to be used as a guide to basic genealogical structures, and in the most is NOT a true representation of all details found in the parish records as the basic format of the site does not allow such. So finer points may be missing from entries. It is and always has been reccommended to get the original microfilm and view it or use the OPC websites if they exist for the county. The other principle of English genealogy is to become a member of the County Genealogical Society or singularly purchase parish transcripts for the place you are researching as they toooo act as an OPC or better transcription of records....   Finer details include witnesses, the parish rector who performed the service or the churchwardens which may be some of your kin.......  there are a zillion reasons to always see the originals.............................. It is also a good idea nowadays to check freegen on the attached links of the freebmduk website and also freecen on the website as the transcriptions of census are free and of better construction.

In regards to deaths on the fs.o it is important to note that the Mormons do not believe people die, and they live on in the Kingdom of God. So the records of burials do not have the same coverage as christenings or marriages as indicated by the IGI microfische. However an exceptance has taken place of late to have some burial and deaths markers on the website, but this is mainly from entries that are found intertwined with other parish register entries.

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:28 BST (UK) »

Thanks guys, seems im not the only one having problems.

Cheers.