Author Topic: Ceppi family in Dublin  (Read 11927 times)

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ceppi family in Dublin
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Just wondering when Peter Ceppi married (ie date and place) and when his death occurred in Dublin
around the turn of century?

John Rogers

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 19:41 GMT (UK) »
c reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for ceppi   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nak/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 23:07 GMT (UK) »
To whom it may concern,
Thank for the said info (I did very same said search earlier today)... Still no sign of Peter Ceppi death record though, I have a listing of him 1887 and he is not recorded in 1901 Irish Census (so he must have died in-between these two time periods. I have tried variant spelling of his name and still no result; so maybe he didn't died in Ireland? Or might he have passed away in Paris or somewhere else? Like all genealogy one has to be patient 'and all good things comes to those that wait'... Yours John

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 24 January 19 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Which Peter are you looking for?
Seraphine's cousin Peter is living with him in 1911, so who is the Peter you are looking for and when was he born?

Offline JaneSims

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 24 January 19 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Peter senior was my great great grandfather. I have been trying for years to find out about his movements but to no avail. He seems to have come over to Ireland leaving his wife behind in Switzerland. Then gradually, the sons came over to Dublin to live and help in the family business. There is never any mention of his wife - Angelina/Angela Bulla.
My feeling is that Peter returned to Switzerland when Seraphin, my great grandfather, took over the business. I have been to the village cemetery and the church to look through ancient records but have not managed to find a trace. If anyone knows how to access the Swiss civil records, I'd be delighted to have some help! Please let me know if you find something - and thanks for the interest!

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 24 January 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Any idea when Peter was born and area of Switzerland? He seems to have spent sometime in Paris working under Condoni ca1847 (is this true or just a family myth), after this brief french sojourn Peter returned to Switzerland and married Angelina/Angela; the couple had three sons Francesco, Dominico, and Seraphin (am I missing any children?). The first mentioned I have of him in Dublin is in advertisement in Oct 1861 and last mention in said city is in 1887. I believe Seraphin took over the family business in the later 1880s... JOhn Rogers

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 24 January 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Peter Ceppi was still in Dublin May 1900

He is again mentioned in the local newspapers in Oct 1896, Oct 1897 and 19th May 1900: 1) St Lawrence’s Home for Nurses for the Sick Poor… P Ceppi… 2s…; 2) Meeting of the Friends of [Irish Catholic Boys] Brigade… P Ceppi…; 3) Donations to St Mary Church of Angels, Church-street… P Ceppi Esq, Wellington-quay £1… (FJ or DCA, 12th Oct 1896, 25th Oct 1897 and DUDN, 19th May 1900).

Offline JaneSims

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 25 January 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
I really can't get much on Peter senior at all. The Codoni connection in Paris is true because Seraphin married Caroline Codoni in Notre Dame. As to the other sons, I have never heard of Domenico but there was a Eugenio. Francesco died in Dublin in 1880 - under the name of Charles Ceppi - for some reason.... I think the P Ceppi mentioned in the papers could be Eugenio's son, Peter. He also seems to have worked for the company and was in Dublin for some time, but then returned to Mendrisio where he had a little hotel - about which I know nothing, but would love to!
Can I ask what your interest is in the Ceppis? And can you let me have more on Domenico?
Many thanks
jane

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 25 January 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Do you have a date for Seraphin marriage to Caroline in Notre Dame? Sorry I don't known where I got Dominico (I meant Eugenio). Charles Ceppi died in 1890 (look below to see more details on him), and he should not be confused with Francesco. As for the P Ceppi I believe this is the old man (not the great nephew) look at the last donation to St Mary Church £1 (about £120 in todays money) a young man in his 20s would not be giving such a large donation (he would have other things on his mind)... John Rogers

CEPPI OR CERRI, Carlo or Charles, Frame Maker, 12 Castle-street, Dublin 1873. Carlo Ceppi entered the South Dublin Union (or Workhouse) on the 7th August 1873: Name-Carlo Ceppi, Age-34, Marital Status-Widower, Type of Employment-Frame Maker, Religion-Roman Catholic, Disability-Not Listed, Name of Wife-Not Listed, Number of Children-Not Listed, Reason for Entering Workhouse-Not Listed, Date of Entry-7th August 1873, Date of Departure-22nd August 1873 (Dublin Workhouses Admission & Discharge Registers 1840-1920). Death of Charles Ceppi (aged-35) Statue Maker at St Vincent on the 11th Nov 1890 of brights disease (Deaths: Civil Registration of Ireland 1845-1958).