Author Topic: COMPLETED - Marriage Certificate John Doran and Catherine Carr  (Read 1105 times)

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
  • ~ I am the result of the love of thousands ~
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Marriage Certificate John Doran and Catherine Carr
« on: Thursday 16 October 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I need a little help in deciphering some of the attached marriage certificate belonging to my great, great grandparents - I can very nearly, but not quite, make out the names of the witnesses so any help with their names would be great also the name of the grooms mother.  To me it looks like a Joan Quinn but I could be wrong and it could well be Jean Luiss or Joan/Jean Wynn so this would be a great help also.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Michelle
Doran / Ward / Carr / Kerr / O'Kane / O'Connor / Goostrey / McLaughlin

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certificate John Doran and Catherine Carr
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 October 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
I See Joan DORAN M.S. QUIN

Alexander McCONNELL
Catherine McCONNELL
John B MACLUSKY
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 October 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
Yes that's what i initially thought re the mothers name, but i cannot find any trace of her marrying a John Doran, anywhere!  I think i was grasping at straws as i did find a John Doran marrying a Joan Lewis and having a baby John in Jan 1867 - back to the drawing board, AGAIN!! 

What has made this particular twig even more frustrating is that on John's death certificate it has his father as John but his mother as Ellen Lee  >:( and on one census he is listed as the only member of his direct household/family as being born in England but on another as Ireland and we know there is an English Jack in the family lol.

Thanks for your help though as it has confirmed the name of the mother really in my eyes and thanks for the witness deciphering, they may hold a few clues too!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 October 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome, Michelle :)

I think i was grasping at straws as i did find a John Doran marrying a Joan Lewis and having a baby John in Jan 1867 - back to the drawing board, AGAIN!! 

Are you sure that was the first marriage for Joan Lewis, or might she originally have been a Quin(n) with Lewis being a previous married name?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline 1banshee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
I'm no longer sure of anything with regards to Johns mum or dad lol.  It could well be a second surname as I know that the woman young John is marrying in the certificate was married before and widowed so it could well be that Joan Quin was indeed married before marrying the older John Doran - its also perplexing and just a little frustrating that on young johns death cert his mother is Ellen Lee and not Joan Quin  ???