Author Topic: Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson  (Read 4197 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Need help with a brickwall I am looking for Robert Dobson
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Robert Dobson, on his marriage in Shepshed in 1813 it says he is of Gumley Leicestershire.

I can find no baptism in Gumley for him ( b c 1772) the only baptism I can find for any Robert Dobson is  in 1769 in Stretton en le Field Leicester. I have found no further siblings.

The couple after marriage moved to and lived in Welford Lutterworth Northamptonshire, in 1841 he is 69yrs old and a Coal heaver, not born in County, he died in 1843, so the only indication of where he came from is from his marriage record. There are other Dobsons in Welford who are also Coal Merchants although at this time I have not made any proved connections

I know there are graves in Gumley with the surname Dobson, so looking for other Dobsons to see if I could break this wall down by going sideways I found numerous Dobson although  later generations, all seem to be following the naming procedure with regards to repeating given names of children and seem to move away from Leicestershire, some in Notts, some in London.
I then found a Will of a Joseph Dobson, Inn Keeper, Coal Merchant and Glazier of Gumley Debdale , Leicestershire. Prerogative Court of 8 July 1833  which today I have got a copy of so thinking a 'potential' brother unfortunately although a 4 page Will and very detailed it only names his wife and children.

Does anyone have any suggestions, any help appreciated
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:56 BST (UK) »

I'm guessing no Dobson witnesses at marriage?

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
You guess right :'(
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Robert Dobson, on his marriage in Shepshed in 1813 it says he is of Gumley Leicestershire.

When a parish is named on a marriage entry, it simply means that was where he was living when the banns were called!

It does not refer to his place of birth ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
Yes I am aware of that, however at that time there are few other records so without other records to prove one way or another, it is one clue that I have followed.

They lived in Northamptonshire, but were not from that county
Robert/Ann married in Shepshed Leicestershire , her parish but not his

Looking at other 'connections' in other areas with the same surname.. such as an occupation like coal brought me to the place they lived in and Gumley (and Debdale, Dedale Wharf and Smeeton Westerby) which 'suggests' coal transport boats along the canal and  other connections in Ann family were boatmen

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Only just come across this as a descendant of Robert & Ann; I don't have anything more on Robert but I have bits and pieces on Ann Whitworth if you're lacking there :)
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Only just come across this as a descendant of Robert & Ann; I don't have anything more on Robert but I have bits and pieces on Ann Whitworth if you're lacking there :)

Thanks.
It is Robert that is the issue with the 1841 census the only clue stating he was born out of county while living in Northamptonshire, all that  tells me he was not born in Northamptonshire, or assumes he wasn't.
Their marriage  states at the time he was ( living/working) in Gumley, there are no Dobson's baptising 'a Robert' there.

Stretton en le Field Robert Dobson: 'Could' be the right side of Leicester to meet Ann in/near Shepshed, would mean he was 3yrs older than claimed which might make sense as Ann was much younger than him....but could and possibles is not research , proof or records

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
I incline towards the Stretton christening in 1772. There is a Joseph Dobson (1767, Stretton) who died and was buried in Gumley in 1833, and the age at death matches.

On another note, how much luck have you had with the Whitworth side?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
However, on FamilySearch it isn't clear if the events are in Great Stretton or Stretton en le Field.