Author Topic: Parish Records Look Up for Spennymoor/Stockton  (Read 6509 times)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records Look Up for Ferry Hill
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 January 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
As some on this list will recall I have been looking for a Thomas Kavanagh (spelling may differ) for many years now without any success at all.

Thomas’ story seems complicated and confusing, certainly to me. The family first appears on the 1871 census living at Tow Law Co Durham. In 1881 they are living at Crook Co Durham.  There is no trace of them after that date that I have found.

On the 1871 census Thomas Kavanagh is said to have been born in Wrexham. On the 1881 census he is supposed to have been born in Spennymoor Co Durham. I have contacted the relevant registry offices via e-mail and telephone and he cannot be found on either register.

From his marriage certificate – which is all I have to prove he existed – he was born around 1867 as he lists his age as 27 on the certificate in 1894, but again this information may not be correct.

If I can find his mother’s maiden name I am thinking it may help to locate the family better however, to do this, and instead of following Thomas, which has always proved a dead end, I have been looking to follow his brother John.

John Kavanagh was born in Ferry Hill in 1870. I have followed him and that information has not changed unlike his brother.  While it is believed Thomas must have died around the 1900 mark, his wife remarrying in 1902, John did not die until he was in his latter years.

I have tried to find Catholic churches near to Ferry Hill and got a list of them for that period but not being good at family history research I am missing something but no idea what so I am truly hoping the group can help me.

It is believed, or strongly suggested that as they are not listed before 1871 that they probably came over from Ireland around that time. John and Catherine Kavanagh – the parents – are listed as being Irish but no part of Ireland is listed on the two census records.

Since John was very likely born in Ferry Hill I would be very interested to find his baptismal record to find his mother’s maiden name but it is proving difficult for some reason.

There is a list of churches but I am thinking the nearest one to Ferry Hill is the most likely. I know most children got baptised at a family church but as they came from Ireland I think this unlikely so they probably baptised John at the nearest Catholic church. I also am aware that some churches has long since closed since that date but I don’t know which if any have closed. I am guessing St Andrew’s at Bishop Auckland for John’s baptismal but could be wrong.

Would anyone on the list be able to help me to find John’s mother’s maiden name please?

Maybe someone has baptismal records of some of the near-by Catholic churches.

I have also contacted Durham registry office without success so I think I have contacted all the relevant places so this list for help is my last port of call really.

I have my fingers crossed and offer my thanks for any help in advance.

Kindest regards
E.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records Look Up for Spennymoor/Stockton
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 January 16 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Ferryhill was in the Stockton registration district, and there is a John Kavanagh birth registration in 1872 for Stockton.

https://www.stockton.gov.uk/Register-Office/Search

The staff at Stockton Register Office are very helpful and I'm sure will confirm whether the parents are John and Catherine, and if so then purchasing the birth certificate will give you Catherine's maiden name.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 January 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks.
Wonder if I can find the nearest Catholic church to look for a baptismal record?
He is listed as being born in both 1870 and 1872 however, since he is on the 1871 census 1872 is out so I am looking for a Catholic church that would be the nearest to Ferry Hill in 1870.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 January 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a Catholic church that would be the nearest to Ferry Hill in 1870.

In reply #11 Stan suggested to you that the nearest would be St Wilfred, Bishop Auckland.
Have you followed up this lead?

Durham Record Office have a guide to what Roman Catholic Registers they hold, which may help, see
5) ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH REGISTERS http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ggd/ you can see what churches there are and what dates the registers cover. The nearest to Ferryhill appears to be Bishop Auckland, St. Wilfrid 1849-2005.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 January 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I kept the list of Catholic churches and went through them one by one - again no luck. I know this is proving to be a very difficult case but I have tried on my own for many years before I knew of this forum so hoped to solve the puzzle with the help of more experienced persons.

I follow up anything and everything I am told. I think the Durham records office know the name of Thomas Kavanagh and now John Kavanagh as well as I do.

I have also tried to send mail to my local eng-durham@rootsweb.com without luck so maybe if Stan, or anyone else knows why my mail is not getting trough I would be grateful.

Many thanks for the reply.
E.