Author Topic: Isobella Warren Gordon  (Read 10130 times)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isobella Warren Gordon
« on: Tuesday 21 October 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, and i really hope someone can help. I am trying to trace this lady's past as part of a ww1 project.

I think she was born in Tain 1974 father james, she died in 1959 in Italy. I am trying to find out if she ever lived in Grange Loan Edinburgh and street lane Leeds. I think she served with the Scottish womens hospitals during ww1 at Troyes in France. Here is my website for more details on that. http://scottishwomenshospitals.co.uk   

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Isobella Warren Gordon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ev, but am really wanting to know if she lived in Edinburgh or Leeds.. i have become stuck.

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
It may not help you much but this looks to be a child of Police Inspector JAMES GORDON, Tain. He would later become Supt in charge of Isle of Lewis before being appointed Chief Constable of Ross & Cromarty in 1888, retiring in 1898. He died in Dingwall 24th May 1902. His wife BARBARA WALLACE ROSS, died 16th Oct. 1898. Both are buried in Dingwall. Although both were living in Tain at time of marriage (1868), they were married in EDINBURGH (10 St Andrew Square - although that may possibly have been the manse of the minister who married them?) Unfortunately I have no information on their daughter Isobella W. Gordon after the 1901 census when she (27 and unmarried) and her younger sister were still staying at home with their father in Dingwall. (Chief Constable Gordon's mother's maiden surname was Warren, by the way, which would explain Isobella's middle name)
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
Cheers for that, certainly am getting closer and there is a connection to Edinburgh. Not easy this one..

Alan

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry I've no credits on Scotlands People.
But doing a free search turns up a Isabella W Gordon as a property owner at Dingwall, Ross & Cromarty on the 1905 Valuation Rolls. The original document would need to be viewed to confirm it's the lady you are researching.
There is also a Isabella Gordon (no middle initial) age 35 ( a bit out if the lady was born 1874 ) at Dingwall on the 1911 Census.
Again you would need to view on Scotland's People.
There are also at least 3 Isabella Gordons of the correct age 36/38 in Midlothian on 1911 Census.
The only Isabella W Gordon is 52 years old  :-\ and in Lanarkshire.
The 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls also have an Isabella W Gordon as a property owner at Dingwall.
So Isabella appears to own property in Dingwall before during and after the Great War. Whether she is living in Dingwall during 1911 , or renting out her property, you would need to look at original Valuation Rolls  & Census. Finding her ion the Scottish 1911 could take time and SP credits - there are 35 Isabella Gordons between ages 35 -40 in Scotland.
Good luck with your research for your interesting website,

Looby :)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, i tryed her personal files yesterday at Glasgow City Archives, but other that address in Edinburgh and Leeds I  cant get her to fit exactly, very close tho. 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
What years did you think she lived in Edinburgh?
And what years for Leeds?
Obviously she could have stayed at both addresses , and never have been recorded on a Census etc.
Not sure what info the Valuation Rolls might disclose....if she was the property owner and someone else was renting might her address be recorded ?? I'm not sure , haven't looked at VR's very often  :-[

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
78 Grange Loan Edinburgh 1918.  odd tho as she was in Salonika until 1919.
Street Lane Leeds in 1915, must have been here prior to going to Serbia october 1915.

Alan