Author Topic: Did William Syme make it to New Zealand?  (Read 8986 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Did William Syme make it to New Zealand?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that  8), must look into it, as my Ancestors were on the Resolute.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
:) I love ship diaries!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
It looks like there is a surviving ship diary.

Thank you, firefly74! I cannot see from the catalogue entry which branch of the library it is held in, but I have e-mailed the library to ask about that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
This might help find William snr arrival

Certainly should, thank you, Giblet.

It really constrains the date of his arrival in NZ. It was Catherine who registered the births of the twins in 1863, so he could have been in NZ before they were born. However he must have been in Scotland in autumn 1862, so he could not have arrived in NZ earlier than the beginning of 1863. He was in Taranaki in July 1864. His obituary says that he was first in Otago, prospecting for gold at Gabriel's Gully.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 22:40 BST (UK) »

Thank you, firefly74! I cannot see from the catalogue entry which branch of the library it is held in, but I have e-mailed the library to ask about that.

Have made enquiries through my library and hope to hear back sometime today or tomorrow re National Archives.   There is another place it is held at,  but library was not quite sure if I would be able to borrow it, and might have to browse it there and that will be my back up. :)

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 February 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I should have replied sooner, with my thanks to kiwihalfpint, who found and looked at the ship's diary. I now have the information I was seeking. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Offline Danny Syme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

I've come across this forum while searching for info on William Neilson Syme - whom is my 3rd Great Grandfather. I still carry his surname.
I wonder, are you related to William and, therefore, are we related!? If so, that's awesome :)

I'm really keen to find out more about his parents - do you anything about them?

Regards.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I've come across this forum while searching for info on William Neilson Syme - whom is my 3rd Great Grandfather. I still carry his surname.
I wonder, are you related to William and, therefore, are we related!? If so, that's awesome :)
I'm really keen to find out more about his parents - do you anything about them?
Hi Danny, welcome to RootsChat and yes, as you are a descendant of William Neilson Syme, then you and I are related :)

William Neilson Syme's parents were Andrew Syme (1807-1837) and Margaret Sturrock (1810-1872). Andrew's parents were William Sime and Jean Ballantyne, and Margaret's were William Sturrock (1780-1821) and Isabel Binny (1782-1819), whose great-niece Margaret Sang Binny (1887-1983) was my grandmother. I have quite a lot of information about Binnys. William Sturrock's parents were William Sturrock and Janet Don. All of them came from Forfar.

I know that William Neilson Syme had two sons and four daughters, and that one son, William, died young. The other son, Stanley Vincent Syme, had two sons and two daughters. One son was Edmond Neilson Syme (1893-1972) and the other was Stanley Alan Syme (1896-1976). Both married, and I have the names of their wives, but I have no information about any descendants.

You need to make two more posts to this forum in order for us to be able to get in touch direct, and you are not allowed to post details on anyone who may still be living. I look forward to exchanging information with you.

Offline Danny Syme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora,

Apologies on the late reply here. (notification email ended up in junk).

Thanks so much for this extra information about William's parents. My family tree now looks a lot fuller :)