Author Topic: repair of prints  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
repair of prints
« on: Thursday 23 October 14 21:14 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine has inherited a photo only sadly it is in literally pieces!  Is there any way we can repair and put the pieces together again?  The photo dates from the 1950's.
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: repair of prints
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 October 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Try the Photo Restoration Board.....they like a challenge....piece it together the best you can and scan it at 300-600 dpi and in colour.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 October 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks I'll get hold of it and they can do the jigsaw!  I also have one of my own, not quite in 2 parts
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 October 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
Also wondered about repairing the actual photo?

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 October 14 22:40 BST (UK) »
Programs like the GNU Image Manipulation Program allow separate pictures to be loaded and manipuated independently. For instance scan each piece of your photo individualy then load into the program as layers and manipulate each merging them together when you're happy you've got the best fit.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 November 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking of actually repairing the photo itself but obviously not with sellotape!  We have photoshop elements to use for digital images.  I need to learn to use it!