Author Topic: Recording Surname Variants on Family Trees  (Read 776 times)

Offline gpearey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recording Surname Variants on Family Trees
« on: Friday 24 October 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I have been inputting my research on my family tree and would like to hear people's opinion on how they record surnames and their variants.

I have obtained birth certificates for my PEAREY ancestors after 1837 and how this is recorded on the birth certificate is what I record on my tree. With a name like Pearey, you can imagine that all sorts of variants exists, never mind whether someone could read or write and they are asked to spell the name.

When I go further back I have an ancestor who was baptised in 1833 and in the parish record, the surname is recorded as PIERY. Later on in the census entries it refers back to PEAREY again.

This may be down to personal opinion but I would like to hear what people' views are on this.

Many thanks
Graham
Flintoff, Trotter, Glover, Pybus, Brown, Peacock, Bowes, Barker, Pease (all North Riding of Yorkshire area).

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Surname Variants on Family Trees
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

What I do is record them in a standard family name, but record the various entries as they were written. This helps in locating records in my family tree program.

Regards,
Colin

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 14 00:02 BST (UK) »
I have a Freik family from the Lanchester, Annfield Plain and Dipton area of County Durham. There are also Friek, Freick, Freick, Frick and Freak variants all in the same family. One owned a Public House and had his and his wife's picture was taken under the proprietor sign so I standardized the name from there. Too complex to be changing the name so often on the computer.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
As both Colin and Barryd have said, it is easier to pick one spelling, and stick to it. Record any variations you may find in attached notes for future reference. This way, you keep track of the various spellings you encounter, but keep finding individuals in your family tree program simple.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 October 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
I agree with others otherwise it becomes too complicated having to search all the variations when looking for an individual.
You have the original documents with the variants on so you don't really need to record them by those.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 October 14 21:49 BST (UK) »
Another way of looking at it is the surname didn't actually change; only the way people spelled it did over the generations, and in different localities.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline gpearey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all who responded, it is very much appreciated.  I guess that the key is to be able to ensure that I can go back and cross reference where I found the information, so as long as I record any variants to the main name, people after me will be able to follow this.

Thanks again.

Graham
Flintoff, Trotter, Glover, Pybus, Brown, Peacock, Bowes, Barker, Pease (all North Riding of Yorkshire area).

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 14 08:01 GMT (UK) »
If you are sure,with the information to hand,that that the variant fits into what you need then save it as 'yours' you can always change it later if something changes.
We all have variants and even more so if the name is unusual or uncommon.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.