Author Topic: Percy Heyd in Simcoe, Ontario  (Read 8622 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Heyd in Simcoe, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am seeing quite a few notices in newspapers for a Percy Heyd of Tillsonburg, distance swimmer.   Looks like he worked for the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) - at least when he was younger.

Here is a short note
http://www.tillsonburgnews.com/2013/11/27/from-the-archives---1929-tillsonburg-news
http://ve.torontopubliclibrary.ca/TPM/wriggley_progc.html

There are lots more mentions in the Toronto Star - if you would like to read more. 
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/advancedsearch.html

This is free to search, but you need to pay to see the articles.  The cost isn't very high though. 
RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Percy Alfred Heyd died in Newmarket, Ontario on March 10, 1987.  Obituary in the Toronto Star on March 12, 1987, page A23.

His address had been 424 Bayview Avenue in Newmarket.  He had previously lived in Stayner and Scarborough.  Beloved father of Frieda Instance of Langley BC, Elizabeth Conod of Tillsonburg and Maybel Ann Heyd of Newmarket.  Veteran of WW1 in the R.C.H.A. and WW2 in the 48th Highlanders of Toronto.  Athlete and coach in the Scarborough area for many years. Swam in the Lake Ontario distance events in the late 1920s, and was a former manager and coach of the Scarborough Wrestling Club.   He died at his home.  Funeral in Tillsonburg on March 13.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Frieda Louise Heyd, daughter of Percy A Heyd, was married to a Donald C Jackman in Rogers Memorial Church in 1948.  Photo and very short note in the Toronto Star Nov 30, 1948.  No specific date for the wedding, but it must have been very recent.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I am finding some more marriages

Frieda might also have been married to a Mr. Thomson.  In Aug, 1946, she and her dad are injured in an accident when Percy is driving a motorcycle and Freida and another lady are in the sidecar.  She is referred to as Freda Thomson, daughter of Percy.  Percy is listed as being 50 years old and living at 14 Pine Grove Avenue, Birchcliff.  (This would be in the east end of Toronto, I believe)

Then, I found a marriage announcement for Percy ... he is the chairman of the Excelsior Veterans Association and Amateur Athletic Club.  He competed in the Exhibition swims against the "Black Shark", George Young and other swimming stars.  He was trained by Johnny Walker.  He announced his upcoming marriage on March 1, 1939 to Grace Annette Avery (her parents were from Laprairie, Quebec).  In the Toronto Star Feb 24 1939, page 8

RK

Added - the "Black Shark" was Ernst Vierkoetter.    Also, I had written the trainer's name as Johnny Young... should have been Johnny Walker.  I have amended my post.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
There is also a "card of thanks" in the Star from Percy and his family for support following his first wife's death.  It says that Percy A Heyd and children of 14 Pine Grove Avenue, Birch Cliff wish to thank the Scarborough Wrestling Club, Danforth Division TTC, Excelsior Veterans' Association and Post 193 Canadian Legion of the B.E.S.L. ....

RK

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:59 GMT (UK) »
You ladies have all been working overtime and have provided me with great information for which I am so appreciative.  RK - What was the date that the "card of thanks" printed in the Star? The information of the motorcycle accident positively identifies to me that we definitely have the right Percy.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 October 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The card of thanks is in the March 27, 1935 edition, page 30. 

I didn't see an obituary for his wife though.  However, this card of thanks ties in with the death date found by Sandra and Polarbear. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 October 14 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD has a birth for Percy Alfred Heyd in Lambeth in Sept Q 1895.  Could be your guy.

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 October 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Well done RK -  ;D

Watercolour could be by the daughter M

http://www.meaarts.org/

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada