Author Topic: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?  (Read 75593 times)

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone trace Adelaide Springett?
« Reply #135 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:14 GMT (UK) »
The four letters in the cause of death column are under the name of the Doctor

M.R.C.S.  = Member of Royal College of Surgeons.

Regards Crowsfeet
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline simpletech

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Saturday 31 December 16 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Adelaide Springett & Friends Colorized

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 02 January 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Very odd for many reasons ! How is it known William was homeless and where was he at the time Adelaide and her mother were registered at Hanbury st workhouse in 1901  ? Adelaide could have been a servant at gun st but why give the name of your next of kin as your dead daughter but with a proper address ? Why go from a workhouse in Hanbury st just to a doss house at 31 Dorset st ? Given that Adelaide gave the Gun st address in 1915 when booking into the infirmary and in the 1911 census there were 3 large Jewish families living at that address and now someone else called Boyes as well. What was Adelaide doing there for 8 years plus ?
Have a look at serial 831.  It certainly thickens the plot.

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 02 January 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Adelaide Springett & Friends Colorized
Thanks, that's an excellent piece of work.  The colours are vibrant and although her clothes are ragged, actually look clean and her hat has a bit of a Salvation Army look to it.  Perhaps it's the red ribbon.
In 1905, Adelaides mum is back in the Infirmary her Dad appears to be in prison. Her release date from hospital is changed to coincide with his release date from prison.
Where can I find details of why he was 'banged up' and where?  It's starting to read like the 'Child of the Jago' book.

Offline Oxtonite62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
A very interesting topic.

I have a few things to add

The 1901 photo, Adelaide and her mother were living at Sally army shelter in hanbury st. So she wasn't living at Millers court at the time that was taken.Other than the school admissions cant find anything linking her to that address. But she and her mother Mary ( not Margaret) are listed in that census as living in the shelter.

Cant find her on the 1911 census although theres reference to her checking in at the workhouse infirmary in 1915, stating she was a servant and lived at 53 Gun St.

Unable to search by street address to see if there are similar names to hers living at Gun st in 1911 census.

Found a photo from 1912 taken on the corner of Crispin st and Dorset st. The girl looks remarkably like her and is dressed in what looks like a black servants dress (could even be a tea room uniform) and is with 3 children , one in a pushchair. Unfortunately its impossible to zoom in with any clarity to see if the girl has that pear shaped mark on her cheek. She would have been 19-20 at the time and it fits that she would be a nanny come servant and it is just round the corner from Gun St.

The other girl in the 1901 photo, I'm guessing is her best friend and further guessing that she may be one of the 2 girls listed of that age in the shelter in the 1901 census.

Haven't been able to find any reference of her mother dying at the workhouse in 1907. However there is a reference to Horace Warner( the photographer) saying that he kept in touch with the family until 1906, death is not mentioned.

My question is; is there a way you can search by address on Ancestry or other sites as finding her on the 1911 census in Gun st is the missing link at the moment

I followed this thread with great interest when it was active as my family grew up in that area - what I didn't know at the time is that my paternal grandmother, Sarah Jones, was listed above Mary Springett on the 1901 Census for the Salvation Army Shelter in Whitechapel.  Sarah was with her younger step sister Bridget and her mother (my great grandmother) Eliza Jones (also known as Eliza Sullivan or Barrett but that's another story for another time)! 

Unfortunately I never met my grandmother as she died before I was born but she did manage to lead a life that wasn't completely poverty stricken!  Although she wasn't able to read or write she took over my grandfather's business after he died - selling newspapers outside Liverpool Street station in London. 

I purchased the book Spitalfields Nippers by Horace Warner, hoping to see a picture of my grandmother as very few family pictures exist.  She may have been in one of the group photographs but there weren't any of her as an individual. 

If anyone does come across any pictures that are not featured in the book I'd be interested in seeing them.

Linda

Cash, Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, Shoreditch, London
Jones, Carmarthenshire?, Whitechapel, London
Sullivan, Cork or Kerry, Whitechapel, London
Flint - Shillington (Beds), St. Albans, Shoreditch, London.
Haslam - Marylebone, London (formerly Limerick, Ireland)
Nolan - Tipperary, Ireland
Walter - Somerset, England
Gunningham - Bristol, England
Fountain (possibly Huguenot descent) - Cross, Somerset
Gedmatch Id: T041555
Paternal Uncle (Cash Family) Gedmatch Id: T193819

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Saturday 01 July 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
There's a digital copy of Horace Warners pictures at the Bishopsgate Institute in London.  A quick telephone call to them a couple of days before visiting should gain you access to them.  I'll be doing that next week.  Have a look at the paragraph in the bottom left corner, at the back of the title page in Spitalfields Nippers.

Offline Oxtonite62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Sunday 02 July 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
There's a digital copy of Horace Warners pictures at the Bishopsgate Institute in London.  A quick telephone call to them a couple of days before visiting should gain you access to them.  I'll be doing that next week.  Have a look at the paragraph in the bottom left corner, at the back of the title page in Spitalfields Nippers.

Thank you IONICUS.  I must admit I didn't read that page...a case of not reading the small print!

I shall plan a visit in the very near future.

Linda
Cash, Bethnal Green, Spitalfields, Shoreditch, London
Jones, Carmarthenshire?, Whitechapel, London
Sullivan, Cork or Kerry, Whitechapel, London
Flint - Shillington (Beds), St. Albans, Shoreditch, London.
Haslam - Marylebone, London (formerly Limerick, Ireland)
Nolan - Tipperary, Ireland
Walter - Somerset, England
Gunningham - Bristol, England
Fountain (possibly Huguenot descent) - Cross, Somerset
Gedmatch Id: T041555
Paternal Uncle (Cash Family) Gedmatch Id: T193819

Offline Stacey Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Monday 10 February 20 17:49 GMT (UK) »

Sorry for messaging many years later but I was wondering if you have any links to the Springetts living in Sidcup?

My daughter is a Springett and would love to know.

Offline IONICUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Monday 10 February 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My Springett research takes me to Marylebone and Spitalfields.  I haven't come across any in Sidcup.

What dates are you looking at?

John