Author Topic: Look up please - all Scottish  (Read 9951 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please - all Scottish
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisy1942

You have multiple Topics re this subject, to avoid people spending time duplicating what you know could you post links to all the other posts.
I had a quick look at your earlier posts and, according to them, it would appear your father-in-law was born in Ireland and raised in Scotland by his grandmother. My first though was that he may have been illegitimate in which case his birth would have most likely been registered under his mothers maiden name. The father named on his marriage registration may have been his reputed father, or it may have been another relative.

Andy

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisy1942

You have multiple Topics re this subject, to avoid people spending time duplicating what you know could you post links to all the other posts.
I had a quick look at your earlier posts and, according to them, it would appear your father-in-law was born in Ireland and raised in Scotland by his grandmother. My first though was that he may have been illegitimate in which case his birth would have most likely been registered under his mothers maiden name. The father named on his marriage registration may have been his reputed father, or it may have been another relative.

Andy

Hi Andy
Thanks  for the idea about cross referencing the post but do not know how to link them.  Also your thoughts on Dad's  birth/upbringing are a new idea to me never thought of it in those terms before thank you

Daisy1942
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisy1942,

There is a birth certifcate of a William Henry Walmsley in 1893 at Stewarton, Ayrshire. This certificate can be dowloaded on the  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that - I had guessed Walmsley was probably Scottish and this look  promising lead thank you.  It would seem that all these men were from a fairly small part of Scotland.  Seems odd in one way but more than coincidence in another.
Daisy1942
Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Is there definitely no record of your f-in-laws birth, or none that you can find?
You may have already tried all of these suggestions but quite likely that there are no family connections between him and the others who escaped in 1941, and it does seem like a roundabout and extremely expensive and time consuming way to search for a birth.  :)

Do you know the names of your father in law's parents?

Hi Ruskie

I have been searching for Dad' papers for something like 28 years now and cannot find a birth certificate anywhere. According to Dad' marriage certificate states hi father was called John Patrick but cannot find a birth or death certificate for him either.  All indications ere that they were either Scottish or Irish though in Dad's circumstances Ireland seems to be the better option now.

Regarding the Scottish group escaping......  The civilians all knew each other in Singapore, both on a social and business level.  The Scottish contingent in Singapore were very close knit and in the circumstances of the Fall of the city it would seem logical that they would extend their help to a fellow countryman.  I realise it seems to be a convoluted way to do the search but conventional approaches have stopped producing information for the moment.  But any suggestions always appreciated.

Regards
daisy1942
Deavin London and France

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
You have indicated that Dominic's father died in the early 50s . Have you drawn a blank with finding his death cert?
Added - just fully read previous post and see that you have!

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In your first topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=697269.0 you say that he got into trouble in Italy and appealed to the Dublin Government for help which appears to have been granted. Eventually in 1946 he is shipped back to the UK under something of cloud arriving in Liverpool.  That suggests he was an Irish citizen, have you followed this up? If this is correct then he would have had to supply personal details but how or whether you can access this information I don't know.

Andy

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Is this the same Dominic referred to above

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703612.msg5465753#msg5465753

Yes CaroleW  it is.  I have quite a number of posts in various forums on rootschat.  At the moment I am using a scatter gun approach!  I hve tried this with other chat sites, each time it has given several new leads to follow up.  Hving been researching this for 28 yeaars traditional methods just do not seem to work!

daisy1942
Deavin London and France

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisy1942,

There is a birth certifcate of a William Henry Walmsley in 1893 at Stewarton, Ayrshire. This certificate can be dowloaded on the  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Tom

Hi daisy1942,

Have you disregarded the birth certificate I advised you of yesterday. It will cost you 7 credits, and 30 credits cost £7, you can register and have certificate downloaded in minutes. That will prove his parentage etc.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.