Author Topic: Parish Registers and Shipping Loss  (Read 5553 times)

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Registers and Shipping Loss
« on: Thursday 30 October 14 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon Forum members.  I am hoping someone will be able to help me with the following:

I have searched Scotlands People for deaths and/or burials using the surname Jamieson (and spelling variants) happening on Bute between 1 January 1538 to 31 December 1854.  The search yielded 23 records.

The first recorded death appears in 1769 with the deaths of Daniel Jamieson and William Jameson.  The last death for the 1700s is with John Jamieson 1786.

The only death recorded in the Parish Registers between 1786 and 1854 is listed as 1845 for ??? Jamieson, Cumbrae/Bute.

I then did a further search between the years of 1855 and 2013 as indicated on the website dropdown area.  This search yielded a further 160 records.

The first recorded death for Jameson appears in 1890.  The first death for Jamieson appears in 1855.

Is anyone able to tell me why there are no records between 1786 and 1855 with the exception of the one record in 1845 in relation to deaths and/or burials for Bute?

A second question is from the Bute County Directory 1904 – 1905 May 1905 Calendar – Anniversaries, etc.

On this page is a note 23 Tues (24) Custom House boat with Bute merchants lost, 1766.

Does anyone have any more information regarding this please?  My first thought was the book written by John Blain’s History of Bute.  Sadly I cannot access this book.  I would have to order the fiche from the LDS and then wait for its arrival.  As I live in Rural NSW I would need do a round trip of 220km plus north or a round trip 180km plus south to be able to view the fiche at an accredited place where the fiche could be sent.

Why I ask is my 5 x G Grandfather William Jamieson was listed as a Ferryer as follows on the Parish Registers for the marriage of John Jamieson to Janet McConachy in 1785:

“John Jamieson, tenant in Scalpsie son to the deceased William Jamieson late Ferryer at Scoulag in the parish of Kingarth “

John Jamieson is my 4 x G Grandfather, son to William Jamieson and Margaret Frazer 

There were only 3 children born to William Jamieson and Margaret Frazer/Fraser with the last being born in 1764.  I am now wondering if William could have also been on this Custom House boat lost in 1766 which is why no further issue appear for this couple.

I am hoping someone will be able to answer my question regarding the Parish Registers for Deaths and/or Burials and also the Custom House Boat loss in 1766.

Cheers
Judi

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers and Shipping Loss
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 14 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This link has information re the sparcity of OPR Death records.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&1353

Andy

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have a look under Bute, Scotland, on the following link,

http://www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/but.htm

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 October 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Andy and Tom.  Sadly your replies answers why there are no records for the years I am looking for.

My next question now is, when people were laid to rest in a Church Cemetery, wouldn't they have kept some kind of record at least?  How would they know where to place people who passed after the one prior or in fact lay a family together if no headstone was available?  Would these people have been laid to rest in the Church Cemeteries for free?

The Isle of Bute was basically "owned" by the Marquis of Bute, would he have required payment?

Perhaps there were these kinds of records kept but are now lost forever?

Cheers
Judi

Offline irenemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Before 1855 the only "death" records are the burial registers kept by the church....some kept intermittently and others not surviving for various reasons. So without a burial record or an MI it becomes almost impossible to get a death date. Other avenues to explore would be to look for a will, especially of maiden aunts who often mention nephews nieces etc; newspapers ...sometimes the most humble of people are mentioned in local papers. But these sources produce success in a minority of cases.
The 1766 ship loss ...that might get mentioned in the national newspapers but 1766 is probably too early for local papers.

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 15 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Irene for your reply.  I have looked on British Newspapers by doing a global search but nothing is appearing sadly.

I do however like your reference to Wills of maiden Aunts.  I have never thought of this previously as William is/was the last in the ancestral lineage although I have recently found a possibility of his parents and siblings through naming conventions but would like to definitely confirm, if possible before claiming this complete family as my own lineage.

I have floated my thoughts to a wonderful lady on Bute who has been so much help to me with the Jamieson and extended family.

Cheers
Judi