Author Topic: Kelly/Kelley's of Mahon Estate, Strokestown, Roscommon  (Read 4629 times)

Offline emzey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly/Kelley's of Mahon Estate, Strokestown, Roscommon
« on: Thursday 30 October 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I'm trying to trace my 4 x great grandfathers James Kelly. He was born in approximately 1804 Roscommon and married Jane Unknown. They had 4 children I know of Margaret born around 1828, Patrick around 1830 (my 3 x great grandfather), Mary around 1838 and Bridget around 1840 all born in Roscommon, I think there may have been more children who possibly died as there is quite a large gap.
James also had a brother who came to England with him called Laughlin/ Lockland who was born about 1806 and on his marriage record in 1852 it states his father as being Patrick Kelley.

I have been told the following about Patrick Kelly (1830 - 1893) and his parents were among 3600 tenants evicted from the Mahon Estate at Strokestown in Roscommon in 1847. This led to Bishop Browne of Elphin writing an open letter of denunciation to the Earl of Salisbury which was published in the Freeman's Journal on 29th April 1848. Patrick's family is listed in this letter, a copy of which is displayed in the Famine Museum at Strokestown. Patrick settled in North Shields, learned the trade of a boot and shoe maker, and married Frances Davis (1830 - 1902), with whom he had 14 children. In 1851 he opened a shop at Clive Street, North Shields, and as the business expanded opened further premises, including a shop in Market Square, Jarrow.

I would be very grateful if anyone knows any information (ie baptisms, marriages and deaths etc while in Ireland) about Patrick his wife, James, Laughlin and any other siblings they had.

Thank you in advance

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly/Kelley's of Mahon Estate, Strokestown, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Have found him and his wife in the 1851 England Census. Poss marriage for Margaret to a Garvey?

living in North Shields
James Kelley 48 head b. Ireland  sorry can't read his occupation so I will attach   ;)
Jane Kelley 45 wife b. Ireland
Margaret Garvey dau 23 b. Ireland
Mary Kelley 13 dau b. Ireland
Bridget Kelley 11 dau  b. Ireland
mary Garvey 7 mths granddaughter b. North Shields

Any good?

Will have another scout around and hopefully someone can read his occupation for you or you could put into the deciphering part on here??

Janine
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Looks like she married a Michael Garvey - found in the 1861 England Census

1861 living in Tipton
Michael Garvey 36 b. Ireland  occ = Lab. in Ironworks?
Margaret do 32 b. Ireland
Mary do 6 dau b. Wolverh? Staffordshire
John do 3 son b. Tipton
Michael do 1 son b. Tipton
Edward Sullivan 29  Lodger

Class RG 9   /  Piece 2045  / Folio 8 /  Pg 11

sorry forgot to add the ref. for 1851 for James as follows -
Class HO107  /   piece 2409  /  folio 498  /  pg 7

Janine
Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline emzey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

Thanks for that information. Sorry I think I mis-typed what I was looking for. I have them while in England but don't know anything about them while in Ireland. They came over her in 1846-7.

I'm mainly looking for baptism/dob for James approx. 1804, Laughlin approx. 1806 and any other siblings they had.
Then the information on their parents, which on the marriage record for Laughlin says father Patrick.
Then i'm looking for the marriage of James to Jane so I can find out Jane's details. They must have been married before 1828 in Ireland as that's the date of their first child. I'm going to see if I can get the Tynemouth Workhouse records for Jane as that is where she was in 1881 and then she died in 1882 so hopefully one of those will give me some information on her dob or maiden name.

Also does anyone know if the name Lauritius (poss spelt different) is just Lawrence of if it could also have been Laughlin

Thanks

Emma

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 November 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
James Kelleys occupation looks like "Brick layers lab"    (labourer)