Author Topic: Elizabeth Eleanor Beesley nee Hood  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Eleanor Beesley nee Hood
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 October 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all.
A lot of my thoughts have been confirmed and I'll look further into the leads you've suggested.
I don't want to disclose the surname of the adopted parents, as there most probably are living "couisins".
The adopted father was born in S.A. and met his Irish nurse bride, during WW1. They were married in NSW, on their return to Australia in 1916. I've learnt they spent a few years in S.A. where they "adopted" baby, their only child. After years in New Guinea, they returned to NSW, where the legal adoption took place. I've been unable to connect the family surname to the Hoods, so will have to accept that they were family friends.
I appreciate the help everyone has given me concerning adoption laws. I have never researched SA records before so I've discovered new sites. A timely opportunity to thank the transcibers, who make online research, available.
With appreciation,
Valsgirl

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 October 14 23:57 GMT (UK) »
In these days of single mother pensions and couples living together I think the stigma and the financial difficulties faced by single mothers even up to the 1970s is often underestimated.

I was a teenager in the late 1950s/early 60s and I well remember acquaintances going "to live with an aunt in the country" or otherwise 'disappearing' for a few months.  Rarely did they return with a baby - you only have to read the many heart-rending stories of women who were forced to relinquish babies for adoption.  The grandmother would sometimes register and care for their daughter's baby and pass it off as her own.

If Elizabeth was in a small country town she may also have not wanted the father to know about the baby, or perhaps he was married and staying in town may lead to even more scandals.  :o

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 November 14 06:48 GMT (UK) »
   Although if she was 30,  I don't know why you would bother.
thetowers

The comment is offensive and unnecessary.

http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/result.php?ID=82&restype=t
This has some neat information about this family:
http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/result.php?ID=82&restype=t
By 1911 they were apparently in Albury, but also with connections to Wagga Wagga, by 1930 in Wagga Wagga permanently.

The information in the link is not accurate and allegedly is given by William's son!!  Wm was born 1875 and died in 1957 and the date of the family's emigration to Australia is wrong.

The German side of the family came out about the 1930s, when many other Lutherans came to South Australia. They were furriers, tanners and dyers in Germany. "My dad said he was apprenticed to his uncle in Bordertown. He ran away and crossed the 90 mile desert with some lemons and 3 dogs." He was William Adolf Schultz, born about 1880, died about 1960. Mother, Anne Sophia Hood, was born in Bordertown her father struck gold at Ballarat, 'not lucky but consistent'. The family went to Albury but by about 1911 were also farming and investing in Wagga, but all that collapsed in 1929. Harry's father started the tannery in Albury but then shifted to Wagga for good about 1930.

Rice's dau Annie Sophia married at Bordertown in 1906 and she and William AdolphSCHULTZ children's births were registered at Adelaide, Mt Gambier and Millicent, South Australia, the last birth registered in 1914
Living at Wagga Wagga by 1919.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e3k/
They were enrolled on the 1930 NSW electoral roll living at 425 Smollett Street, Wagga Wagga.  William's occupation furrier.  Annie died in 1968 and William 1957.

BISA

HOOD Rice born 1799 SCT and died 14 Aug Bordertown SA
Arrived 1852 on the MEDINA
Occupation Farmer   Lived Allendale, Bordertown
Married in Scotland, Janet nee BERTRAM parents George and Janet nee FERGUSON born 17 Mar 1802  Penicuik SCT and died 1 Nov 1883 Bordertown SA
Children  Janet c1832-, George c1834-, Margaret 1835-, Aaron c1837-, James c1838-1885, Rice c1840-1902, Edward Grant c1842-, Mary c1843-, Wm Bertram c1846-1923

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/medina1852.shtml

HOOD Rice parents: Rice and Janet nee BERTRAM
Born c1840 SCT and died 1 Nov 1902 Mundulla SA
Arrived 1852 on the MEDINA
0ccupation Carrier, Contractor, Livery Stable Owner and others
Lived Allendale, Naracoorte, Mundulla
Married Naracoorte SA Elizabeth nee JONES parents David and Mary nee ELLARD born 1852 SA and died 1937
Children George James 1874-1875, Jeane Bertram 1876-1950, Mary Ellard 1877-1975, James Edward 1879-1951, Annie Sophie 1881-1968, David Jones 1883-1963, Rice 1886-1960 Wm Aaron 1889-1960 Elizabeth Bessie 1892-1974, Alexander 1893-1960, Florence Isabel 1896-1976.

Rice, son of Rice, HOOD married Elizabeth in 1873 at Naracoorte. 
Their first five children's births registered at Naracoorte. 
They had eleven children between 1874 and 1896 all in South Australia. The sixth and subsequent five births were registered at Tatiara and Mundalla in the same registration district - Wellington.

No way of identifying if father or son.  Lillimur is across the Victorian border east of Bordertown.
HOOD Rice
Victorian Government Gazette 15 Nov 1878  Page#2905
Lillimur, Victoria
Licenses Revoked, Cancelled or Declared Void 

Rice is mentioned as a nominee for the Tatiara Council in 1901.   Rice HOOD died in 1902.

Elizabeth HOOD moved from Mundalla to the East Murray District - Karoonda in 1921 and to Prospect by 1934

South Australian Directory 1934
HOOD  Mrs E  Irish Harp Road, Prospect.
TREMAINE C   Enfield    [Son in law Clement at whose home Elizabeth married John Frank BEESLEY.

Cheers  :)
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 November 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
May I support Judith's and Cando's posts and mention I was raised in a small rural district in NSW, a post WWII baby, and I well remember, years after marrying, that there would be gossip among the church folk, the neighbours, the old school friends,  when we were back for family visits re "Miss xyz has gone to her aunt's in the city for a ..... (dots to represent a pregnant pause) rest, probably she will be losing some weight while there"

Sometimes Miss xyz would be in her teenage years, but sometimes in her mid 30s.... so the adverse comments about 'why would you bother' are, to my way of thinking, UNBECOMING at RChat.

Well done Cando on all that research, validating, eliminating, cross checking, sorting, and of course, finding the right words to put it all back together.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline aussidoc54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 11:11 BST (UK) »
I was very surprised to read your post about Elizabeth Eleanor Hood. I am the granddaughter of Anne Sophie Schultz(sister) and this story was unknown in the family in Wagga. But there was no acceptance of single motherhood in the country...even in 1960's . Aunty Bessie as my mother remembers her was cuddly and good fun. She was happily married to Frank Beesley. She and Florence spent a lot of time together. I could probably find a picture if you are interested.

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 April 16 07:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your response to my query.
My friend, Elizabeth Eleanor Hood's granddaughter, knew her Mother had been adopted, but didn't apply for the adoption papers until 2014, when I first posted the query. Knowing I was very interested (read obsessed!) with family history, she asked for my help to learn more about her birth grandmother. I did find a Hood family photo, online, but I'm sure a photo of your Aunt Bessie would be appreciated.
Elizabeth's daughter was an only child and lived a very happy, comfortable life with her adopted parents.
Cheers Valsgirl 

Offline AussieHood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
The information that I have is that Elizabeth Eleanor Hood was the ninth child of Rice Hood JR, and Elizabeth Jones.
She was born 9/11/1891 at Mundulla, South Australia.
She married John Beesley in 1935 at Port Adelaide
She died 1974 and is buried at North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia

John and Elizabeth had a daughter, born 4/11/1921 who would be 96 if alive today; since she could still be alive, I won't mention the name here.

Annie Sophia Hood is Elizabeth's sister.

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aussie Hood for your reply.
My interest in the Hood family stems from research I did for a friend, last year.
John Beesley and Elizabeth Hood married many years after Elizabeth gave birth to her daughter, in 1921. Do you have proof that John is the father of this baby?
Cheers,
Valsgirl

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
The information that I have is that Elizabeth Eleanor Hood was the ninth child of Rice Hood JR, and Elizabeth Jones.
She was born 9/11/1891 at Mundulla, South Australia.
She married John Beesley in 1935 at Port Adelaide
She died 1974 and is buried at North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia

John and Elizabeth had a daughter, born 4/11/1921 who would be 96 if alive today; since she could still be alive, I won't mention the name here.

Annie Sophia Hood is Elizabeth's sister.

"Norma Masie (Maisie?)" died many years ago, and I'm doing this research for her only child.
Aussie girl

There is no  mention of a father on the birth registration and has already been posted previously on the thread.

From my resource
Birth
HOOD Norma Masie
4 Nov 1921
Father Unrecorded  Mother Elizabeth Eleanor HOOD
At Adelaide   Ade 84A/581
Cando

I also wonder if you have other evidence/proof of the father's identity.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk