Author Topic: Ann Kitchener nee Orbell  (Read 4397 times)

Offline yekepa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Kitchener nee Orbell
« on: Saturday 01 November 14 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Ann Orbell married William Cripps Kitchener, Bury St Edmunds 1825   Her Father was John.
What I am looking for is if she shows up on any census which would tell me her profession. I believe her to have been a Milliner, I found a picture of her in book in library modelling hats, and a reference to her "sitting in her shop window"
Many thanks
Y

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Kitchener nee Orbell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 November 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Is this her in 1851? No mention of milliner though.
HO107 Piece number   1762  Folio   186  Page   12
High Street, All Saints, Newmarket,

William C   Kitchener   Head          48       Attorney                               London, Middlesex    
Ann   Kitchener   Wife               46       Attorneys Wife                    St Marys Bury St Edmunds
William O   Kitchener   Son       24       Attorney Clerk                    St Marys Bury St Edmunds   
Emma   Kitchener   Daughter   21                                                St Marys Bury St Edmunds     
Francis E   Kitchener   Son       12       Scholar At Home         Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, 
Mary Ann   Durham   Servant    30       House Servant                 Rattlesden, Suffolk
Mary Ann   Chenery   Servant    24       House Servant                 Kentford, Suffolk
Matilda   Bailey   Servant    20       House Servant                 Cheveley, Cambridgeshire
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yekepa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 November 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes that is her, I think she may have been a milliner before her marriage, so it probably would only show in earlier records ?
Y

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure where you would find those, as judging by the age of the children she was married about 1826, well before the first census and before marriage registration.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yekepa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 November 14 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,
I will have to look at other type records.
Y

Offline kettleburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,this may be a complete red herring but James Oakes, the Bury st Edmunds banker had a son named "Orbel" Pretty unusual for a christian name so there may be some connection. You can make your own decision as the Oakes diaries are published and are certainly available in the Suffolk Library. They paint a wonderful picture of life in Suffolk at the end of the 18th-to the beginning of the 19th cent. Hope this helps, Kettleburgher. :)

Offline kettleburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kettleburger again. I have just dug out my copy of the diaries (published by the Suffolk Records Society and edited by Anne Fiske) and there are dozens of entries mentioning mainly a John Orbell who appears to have been a Councillor in Bury St Edmunds and there seem to have been very strong connections between the two families. Good hunting. Kettleburger. :)

Offline yekepa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 December 14 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Kettleburger
Thank you great help
Y

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 December 14 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,this may be a complete red herring but James Oakes, the Bury st Edmunds banker had a son named "Orbel" Pretty unusual for a christian name so there may be some connection. You can make your own decision as the Oakes diaries are published and are certainly available in the Suffolk Library. They paint a wonderful picture of life in Suffolk at the end of the 18th-to the beginning of the 19th cent. Hope this helps, Kettleburgher. :)

Orbell Ray Oakes, who died in 1837, was the grandson of James Oakes and Elizabeth Ray who married in Bradfield St George in 1740.  Elizabeth's father was Orbell Ray baptised 1679 to Walter Ray and Elizabeth nee Orbell.  I don't know much about her as I'm researching the Ray family but that will be where the Orbell name comes from on that line. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day