Author Topic: Please, a non urgent LOOK UP request NSW State Records Office Reel 5002.  (Read 2635 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Hi,

Continuing my on-going fascination with NSW Early Church Records  ::)

NSW SRO's Reel 5002 seems to be similar to the NSW BDM Early Church Records Volume 4 (St Phillips C of E registers including transmitted records from various clergy/denominations to the NSW Chaplains in Sydney).

I am interested at the moment with the  year 1817  and with register entries for “Churchings”  (the cleansing ceremony for women to be able to return to attending Church after giving birth).

I am wondering how many women were recorded in the 4th quarter of 1817 as going through that ceremony?   I think the entries would be part of Volume 4, and be some of the entries at lines 560 to 600 in that volume.  Perhaps there were no churchings in that quarter, but I suspect there were several.   

If anyone has easy access to that reel,  or is already going to Kingswood or to a local ARK facility, I would appreciate a look up.   I will be able to get to Kingswood around March 2015, so I could look up then.

By way of explanation : Governor Macquarie’s general orders required “...... make a correct Return ….once every Quarter, to the Secretary’s Office at Sydney; and said Registers are required to contain the Marriages, Christenings, Churchings, and Funerals, as well of all Convicts and Prisoners as of Free Persons …..
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/628150  Sydney Gazette 22 December 1810.

Many thanks,

Cheers,  JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please, a non urgent LOOK UP request NSW State Records Office Reel 5002.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM. It might assist  your search to know that Ann Bates was churched 3 times, the last in 1817. I gleaned this info from a web search of the term churching NSW 1817, but uncertain how private the site intends to be, so won't give any more family details. Fran
Leadbetter North Meols
Tyrrell  and Shettle Hampshire
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Smail and Cochran Berwickshire
Worling and Harrop Cambridgeshire
Happ Eltville
Harrop and Shettle Suffolk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Fran,  much appreciated.   I am looking at how many of the women were Churched, particularly during Macquarie's era and I am up to 1817, as Churching can help determine if there's baptisms to look for in the immediate weeks before that ceremony.    Sadly, there's perhaps some stillbirths, and babies who did not survive, and no extant records of these, and so sometimes the Churching entries may be the only mention of the womenfolk, particularly if the woman 'came free' or was born in the colony. 

So, I am up to 1817, and into the Oct, Nov, Dec quarter of that year, trying to find the 'silent women' those who seem to be unaccounted for in the archives.  Then I move on, and get to 1818  :) but I have messed up  :-[ and don't have the 4th quarter 1817 info.   I am interested in the names of all of the women being Churched throughout all of Macquarie's governorship, not just 1817.  :)

Cheers,   JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

The QLD State Library hold the early NSW early church records on films which I have used a number of times and these are in the 5000 series so there might be reel 5002.  I can check next time I'm there and check.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Much appreciated Gerry, Fingers crossed that reel 5002 is there.

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
COMPLETED
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 14 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this look up,  RChattering at its best.

Cheers,  JM

COMPLETED. R2M Sent.