Author Topic: Augusta Caroline Maria King(nee George) 24 may 1855-  (Read 5687 times)

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Augusta Caroline Maria King(nee George) 24 may 1855-
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 November 14 06:30 GMT (UK) »
I have Charles Cottle born approx 1858 Radstock Somerset, it is entirely possible it is his father born approx 1826 in the 1881(age 55) census being they have same name and birthplace ??

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 November 14 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Where have you found the Charles Cottle 1858 was born in Radstock? On 1861 census the only Charles Cottles born Radstock are the one born 1828 already mentioned and three others:
b 1789 residing Wellow Somerset
b 1808 residing Radstock, Somerset
b1835 residing Wellow

The 1828 Charles was a boarder in Abingdon occ grocer's warehouseman. The person he is boarding with is a grocer. Charles is listed as married

If you track him back to 1851, he's with his family in Somerset, his father is a grocer and he's unmarried. So somewhere between the two censuses he got married but no sign of wife as yet.

I can't find a marriage between Charles Cottle and Augusta / Caroline around the time the first two children were born.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Charles Cottle (1826) is the son of John and Judith. In 1861, in Farrington Gurney Somerset (same place the family was in 1851), there is a Bithia Cottle - married (occ postmistress) with two children. John and Judith are her lodgers and John is described as her father in law. There is a marriage in Q1 1852 Chipping Sodbury district for a Charles Cottle and one of the two possible brides is Bithia Parker. So looks like missing wife is found.
Charles is back living with Bithia in Bristol in 1871, the only children are the same two daughters that were with Bithia in 1861 (Georgiana 18 and Eliza 14). Charles is a Commercial traveller. So it looks like he and his wife were apart for long periods.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 November 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I have Charles Cottle 1858-oct nov dec-Bath-somerset vol 5c pg 671,
I also have Charles Cottle 1856-oct nov dec-somerset vol 5c pg 563

perhaps I should have said approx 1857,doesn't matter, age is about right, and going by what i have been told by now deceased relatives.Still not definite of course but this part of the family is difficult especially jane legge and her father Michael

I haven't found a marriage cert for charles and Augusta

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 November 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
When Charles Merrit Cottle was baptised on 20 feb 1887 they(Charles and Augusta) were married and lived at 5 She***(unreadable) Terrace, Lands rd,St Mary, Balham,Surrey(Charles Merrit Cootle born in Wandsworth,Streatham,Surrey.
Apparently he lived in Genow illinois USA(again, source deceased)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 November 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I have Charles Cottle 1858-oct nov dec-Bath-somerset vol 5c pg 671,
I also have Charles Cottle 1856-oct nov dec-somerset vol 5c pg 563

If Charles Cottle (b approx 1857) was born in Radstock, his birth would be registered in Clutton district.

The Charles born Q4 1856 was registered in Shepton Mallet district. The Charles born Q4 1858 in Bath appears on 1861 and 1871 censuses as son of John and Jane Cottle living in Bath.

Just sourced from family two birth certifficates
Florence Bertha Cottle born 15 april 1884 Hammersmith -father Charles Cottle born approx 1858 Somerset and mother Caroline Cottle formerly George--

This doesn't say the father was born in Radstock, only in Somerset. I've never seen a birth certificate that gives the year and place of birth of father of the baby. All the ones I have for my ancestors only give name, occupation and residence of father and name and maiden name of mother.

ADDED: Have found a copy of the birth certificate posted on line. Nowhere does it say where or when the father was born. It only gives his name and occupation. The addresses given are those where the birth took place and the address of the informant who was not either parent. She was Elizabeth Polding of Hogarth Place Chiswick (present at birth). She registered the birth on 27 May 1884, the birth having taken place about 6 weeks earlier. A little unusual I would think.

When Charles Merrit Cottle was baptised on 20 feb 1887 they(Charles and Augusta) were married and lived at 5 She***(unreadable) Terrace, Lands rd,St Mary, Balham,Surrey

What evidence have you that they were actually married, when no registration of their marriage has yet been found? An earlier post mentioned this baptism with the unreadable address as Sherwood Terrace.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 November 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Florence Bertha's baptism on 14 Nov 1884 was at Hammersmith St Peters. Address St Peter's Lodge, St Peters Square. Father's occupation "travelling restaurant" ??

Just found this baptism on Ancestry. Although a travelling restaurant sounds possible - I have a (possible) relative who was a baker and confectioner and travelled around fairs and similar places setting up a stall to sell his wares - the predecessor of the sandwich van. But looking closely the "R" looks like A and c run together, so I think it is also accountant. 

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 November 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Have found Elizabeth Polding in 1881 and 1891, she is living at 2 Hogarth Terrace / Place, Chiswick. In 1881 she is wife of a bricklayer with no occupation listed and in 1891 she has been widowed and her occupation is charwoman. She is about 4 years older than Augusta / Caroline. Unless she did some unofficial midwifery, I would suspect she is just a friend of Caroline's. As registration is exacly 42 days after birth date, I would be suspicious about the birth date recorded, I wouldn't be surprised if the real birthdate was a bit earlier.

Offline mossimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Again-Sorry if I h've gotten ahead of myself re Charles Cottle's birth and birthplace-have absolutely no evidence of either except for family stories.Only hint that Charles and Augusta were in fact married is on the son Charles Merrit Cottle and Florence Cottles birth certificates where it is stated that mother is Augusta Caroline minnie Cottle nee George.So it appears that maybe they were married but not proven as yet either way.
Just to confuse us -Lena George moss nee King born 29 dec 1890 in Claphan London ( Augusta's daughter) when she died on 12 aug 1973 in Auckland New Zealand listed her mother as Caroline Augusta Minnie King nee Cochran. This has to be an error,she was my grandmother and all our photos and records says maiden name is George