Author Topic: Alexander McGlashon - Edinburgh to Australia  (Read 2052 times)

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McGlashon - Edinburgh to Australia
« on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
My wife's ancestor went to Melbourne Australia in 1854, after November 18th, and returned to Edinburgh some time after March 1857. We know he was in Edinburgh in 1861 and suspect that he may have returned in 1857 or 1858. However we have never been able to find any record of him on ships to or from Australia although I am not sure how complete these records are and whether I have been looking in the right places. |Any help would be appreciated. Incidentally he was a photographer in Melbourne. Alex.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McGlashon - Edinburgh to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 14 12:35 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e4x/

This mention in the Melbourne Argus of 23 Feb 1853 seems to place him in Australia before 1854.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Alexr McGlashan 38 , Apr 1855 Eagle

Index to Unassisted Passenger Lists to Victoria , searched here :

http://prov.vic.gov.au/index_search?searchid=23

Is this man the right age ?

( Re-reading your post this doesn't seem to fit -sorry ! )
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 14 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. I know it might seem an unlikely coincidence but this is a different McGlashon (note that the advert spells the name ending in "an", although this is not very significant). McGlashan was a reasonably common name about Blair Atholl in Perthshire where this individual probably came from. "My" Alexander McGlashon was from Edinburgh although the family ultimately came from Nairn; there was no Perthshire connection. I recollect that some time ago when I previously attempted to trace the McGlashon journey I did trace an Alexander McGlashan travelling to Melbourne with his wife; he was a church minister; I suspect that this might be him. Alex
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 14 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your further reply CB53. Alexander McGlashon was born in the south of England (his father was a soldier from Nairn) in 1811 and died in Edinburgh in 1877. I am very sure of his dates of travel to Melbourne as I have copies of contemporary documents which record that he was in Australia. One document dated 18 November 1854 was personally signed by him in Edinburgh and records his imminent departure. I have a March 1857 document which records that he was still in Melbourne. Alex.