Author Topic: 18th-early 19th century Hartington  (Read 3346 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
18th-early 19th century Hartington
« on: Saturday 08 November 14 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I should be very glad to know if anyone has knowledge of the local history of Hartington. I haven't been able to trace a local history society (apologies if there is one, I just haven't found you!) I have Thomas Greaves who was an innkeeper at Biggin, Hartington 'Nether Quarter'. I know there is a book by Peter Featherstone on this topic which I am hoping to consult, but possibly wonderful Roots.Com can provide a short cut? There is only one pub (the Waterloo) apparently in Hartington now (I live a long way away from it) but there were four others, so Thomas could have had any of those. He only appears in the 1841 census born in 'Scotland, Ireland or Foreign Parts' and the dratted man has proved completely intractable to trace further. Yes, this is the sound of someone flailing around in frustration! Any Derbyshire bright sparks with any suggestions about tracing the pub at least?
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 18th-early 19th century Hartington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 November 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this, which certainly gives a vivid picture of the changes enclosure caused in this area at the end of the 18th century. I note he refers to the Featherstone book and will continue trying to find it.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes I saw that -- I've ordered it through the library in the hope of saving £12!

Offline bobbie dobbie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 23 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I believe my great great grandfather Francis Cox was innkeeper at the Waterloo around the 1850/60s. And his father (Francis Cock) farmed 30/40 acres at Red House Farm at Ellastone - though I can't seem to find any trace of that. Trying to find out more about family in the area.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 February 23 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Greaves is a surname that goes back a long way at Hartington, so odd that Thomas wasn't born there.  Not a complete list of entries, but lots of help here https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/63dc19a44325a67f7ae07a83?locale=en  Thomas of Hartington marries Elizabeth Brinsley at Ashbourne 20/6/1814 by licence wit Margaret Leith and John Ball.  Eliz bur 28/4/1841 (59) and Thomas bur 2/11/1846 (65) at Monyash 'late of Biggin'.  NA has will of Isaac Greaves yeoman of Hartington dated 1836 proved 1840 who looks like Thomas' brother.  Bequests to nephews John, Isaac and William and niece Mary children of brother Thomas and nieces Mary, Hannah and Elizabeth Chatterton children of sister Mary Chatterton (Mary Greaves mar James Chatterton 1817).  Bequest £5 pa to John Ball a poor person of Biggin https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D131722  The family were relatively wealthy.
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 February 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Designer Jeans, thank you for your contribution. It's an interesting story. I note that both Isaac and William (Hurd) Greaves are acknowledged as nephews.
I mention the various name changes which William and his descendants used over the years (Greaves; Hurd; Hurd Greaves; Greaves Hurd; Hurd-Greaves) in one of my talks and last year a member of the audience put his hand up to explain that he was a direct descendant of Isaac Greaves, William's half brother!