Author Topic: How I wish this was mine  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How I wish this was mine
« on: Monday 10 November 14 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Looking for another William Prouse/Prowse I found this.  How considerate of the minister  ;D

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How I wish this was mine
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 14 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes, very considerate :).

The non-conformist records can be so illuminating.  For one of my Baptist families the minister had written complete details of the family right down to the name of the mother's father (i.e. the child's maternal grandfather) every time and also gave the name of the midwife and nurse attending at the birth of each child!  :o ;D
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Here is one of mine from Gateshead, County Durham. Barbara Routledge was the illegitimate daughter of Isabella Routledge. Father unknown. Later Isabella I believe lived with, and had eleven children with a George Dawson, but never married him after the birth of Barbara. He is the vicar trying to sort things out after the funeral with his comments in the Parish Records.

1872:"Buried  28 Apr 1872 Barbara Dawson, of Sheriff Hill, age 20, The name Dawson was on the coffin plate, I learnt on 29th April that the death was registered as Barbara Routledge". St. John, Gateshead Fell Parish Records.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
The clergyman at Blackrod in the late 18th century was VERY helpful to some of us. Here's a baptism entry from 30th March 1788:
"Valentine 4th son of Thomas Walls of Blackrod, collier by Betty daur of George Doughty was born Mar 1."
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Some Yorkshire entries are even better

- St Mary Tadcaster.
Hannah Dodgson, daughter of Benjamin Dodgson of Catterton, farmer, son of Thomas Dodgson of Catterton, Farmer, by Mary his wife, daughter of Benjamin Jackson of Catterton, Gentleman, and Hannah, daughter of Peter Archbell of Healaugh, Farmer, by Mary daughter of John Dodgson of Healaugh Farmer.  Born Sunday, 28 November 1779 and baptised Wednesday, 22 January 1780.

- St John Baildon
Mary Fieldhouse, 4th child of John Fieldhouse and Martha nee Crabtree (Clothier) of Browgate – born 15 August 1794, baptised 14 December 1806

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes really helpful  :)

I was given the opportunity to view all the records in one parish church, which included the local policeman's note book, the parish day book, invoices etc and found a village census(in between national census) which is the ONLY primary record I have found which confirms which 'sister' had an illegitimate child who always lived with her gran, sisters in question were Eliza and Elizabeth close in age, worked together in service and seemed to use the same name 'Eliza' on records. On this village census 'Gran' had written all her children's names, who they married, where they lived/where they were/who they worked for inside and outside the village and how many children they had as well as who the mother of the child was ( her married name) AND who the father of the child was.
It only really became valuable when I was contacted by another researcher the other side of the world who was the direct descendant of this child and it was lovely to be able to send her a copy to enable her to continue on her FH journey, not only with the correct mother but also with the real father.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Some Yorkshire entries are even better

- St Mary Tadcaster.
Hannah Dodgson, daughter of Benjamin Dodgson of Catterton, farmer, son of Thomas Dodgson of Catterton, Farmer, by Mary his wife, daughter of Benjamin Jackson of Catterton, Gentleman, and Hannah, daughter of Peter Archbell of Healaugh, Farmer, by Mary daughter of John Dodgson of Healaugh Farmer.  Born Sunday, 28 November 1779 and baptised Wednesday, 22 January 1780.

- St John Baildon
Mary Fieldhouse, 4th child of John Fieldhouse and Martha nee Crabtree (Clothier) of Browgate – born 15 August 1794, baptised 14 December 1806

Yes, I've got some like that, it took me ages to sort out what it meant, especially as they all seemed to have had similar names.