Author Topic: Frederick Osborn, born Clent, Worcestershire C1779  (Read 830 times)

Offline osbornsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Osborn, born Clent, Worcestershire C1779
« on: Monday 10 November 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with any information on one of my ancestors.

His name is Frederick Osborn and he was born in Clent, Worcestershire in around 1779.  The first definite information i have on him is that he married a lady called Mary Farmer in 1805.  He became a farmer and farmed in the area of Hunnington, just 4 or so miles from Clent, and the couple had 4 children that I have discovered so far: John born 1809; Samuel born 1813; Mary born 1817 and William born 1821.  Frederick died in Hunnington in 1864.

This is the first time I have posted anything on Rootschat, so don't really know how things work, but I would be so grateful if anyone can help, I'm starting to pull my hair out over this one - I've hit a brick wall!!

Heather

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Osborn, born Clent, Worcestershire C1779
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello & welcome
Are you after his parents?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline osbornsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Initially I'm trying to find out some definite facts about Frederick.  I have a hunch that although two names were not common at that time, his full name might have been John Frederick Osborn.

Since my post in Rootschat yesterday I have discovered a John Frederick Osborn in Ancestry, the section entitled England, Select Births and Christenings 1538-1975.  Where I caught onto the fact that his names might be John Frederick, I can't remember, but when I entered his exact year of birth as 1779, and his wife's name as Mary (her maiden name was Mary Farmer) then a birth was acknowledged.

It doesn't help much trying to research a Midlands ancestry down here in Devon, but I have ordered the microfilms for Clent from LDS, so when they arrive I hope I will have some hints from which to work.

As a bonus I think I may have discovered a fifth child of (John) Frederick and Mary; who, I think, may have either been stillborn, or lived for a very short length of time. I shall research that thread too.

With regard to his father - I haven't got that far yet.  I think it would be best to verify my present hunches before I start on the next generation - unless, of course, you have any hints which might be useful!

Thanks for your reply

Best wishes

Heather

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The first definite information i have on him is that he married a lady called Mary Farmer in 1805
How do you know this is definite?
Frederick & Mary married in B'ham.
There are no children born to them there so it's a possibility but I wouldn't say it's definite.
There may be 2 more children. Father just listed as Osborn.
Mary Osborn
birth: 1816 
christening:  CLENT,
death: 1817 
Martha Osborn
birth: 1816 
christening:  CLENT,
death: 1817 
I take it son John has come from his Probate.

Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline osbornsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jim

Thank you for your comments on my attempts to find Frederick.  However, I do believe that I have got to the bottom of the problem.

As I think I said in my previous post, it is difficult researching a Midlands based family history whilst living down here in Devon.  Because of this I joined BMSGH who, as you no doubt know publish all sorts of CDs and other publications with parish records, etc.  A couple of days ago I bought the digital download of the parish records for Clent, wondering whether I had overlooked something during my last visit to The Hive in Worcester.

I started to read through  the several pages of introduction to the register, and found the following paragraph:-

"In 1729 the third book of Registers was begun, Edward Sheward being then Vicar. He enters his native place as being "Stoney Lane in the parish of Tardebig in the County of Warwick."  He notes that the vicarage house was re-built by him in 1724, but gives no other item of parochial news.  He was followed in the Vicarage by the Rev. John Perry, who was inducted July 21, 1737, and remained Vicar for 43 years.  Towards the end of his incombency there is a sad falling off in the regularity of the Register.  With the exception of one or two scattered entries no list of burials occurs between 1757 and 1774, and after that date for several years the baptisms are missing.  The book is sadly torn and dilapidated, and the entries are very irregular.  A later hand has written "Memorandum.  Here has been a great omission either of the parson or the clerk.  No true copy of the register to be found for the year 1765 to the year 1780 and 1781."  To which another person adds explanatory, "Lyttleton Perry, Vicar upon his father's decease did not come to reside in Clent till 1781." The third book of the Registers ends with the Baptisms of 1782.  I am glad to say that the missing burials and baptisms can be to a great extent recovered from the Bishop's Transcripts at Worcester.

I am still convinced, based on the various other records I have discovered relating to Frederick, that his date of birth was 1779, very nearly to the year.  Bearing in mind the contents of the last sentence of the above transcript, I am highly optimistic that I may have solved the problem - a planned visit to The Hive in a couple of weeks time will hopefully clarify my suspicions.

Thank you for your help, and I'll let you know what I find out during my visit to Worcester.

Best wishes

Heather

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately some Vicars of advanced years did fail in their duties to keep the register up to date.
Hopefully the BS has the answer.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.