Author Topic: Who are David Jones & Owen Hughes?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
Who are David Jones & Owen Hughes?
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandfather was born in Llangefni or Pentraeth in 1855 but I cannot find any birth record for him neither birth registry or baptism. However, he is not the main problem....it is his father!

Throughout his life my great-grandfather was known on official records as Owen Hughes apart from two, his marriage certificate and the birth certificate of his eldest child (my grandmother) where he is recorded as Owen Hughes-Jones. On his marriage certificate his father is listed as David Jones and that is the only time he appears. Sadly David's occupation is almost illegible but I have it on good authority that its "Horse Carter". I suspect that my g-grandfather may have been illegitimate and he took his mother's surname of Hughes for most of his life.

If anyone can find a David Jones living in Llangefni or Pentraeth at around 1855 I would be interested to know. I am suspecting that David was relatively young when my g-grandfather was born as my gg-grandmother was only about 17 years old at the time of Owen's birth.

I have looked up births of an Owen Hughes and an Owen Jones and a combination of the two but there are so many out there that it would cost a small fortune to get all the certificates.

Any help on finding who David Jones was or even a birth for Owen my g-grandfather will be gratefully received.

100% Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who are David Jones & Owen Hughes?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
This may not prove relevant,but in the 1861 census in Mill Street,Llangefni is a Fanny Jones,unmarried,with a son Owen Hughes of the right age.In the 1871 census they are still at the same address but the son is given as Owen Jones.

Regards
Roger

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Owen's mother's name?
There are two possible illegitimate births which may be relevant, in each case the father's name is absent:

Owen Hughes born 12 May 1856 Llangefni, mother Margaret Hughes
Owen Jones born 11 Feb 1854 Llangefni, mother Fanny Jones
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the lady Fanny Jones in the 1861 Llangefni census and she is a new one for me. However, I have strong proof that by 1861 Owen Hughes was living in Pentraeth.

I believe that Owen's mother was Ellen (aka Ellenor/Ellin) Hughes born on 22/10/1838 in Field Street, Llangefni. In 1861 Ellen and Owen were living with Ellen's much older sister Catherine in Pentraeth but sadly at the age of 22 Ellen died a few days after the census. In the 1871 census Owen is still living with his aunt and his cousins (one of which later becomes his best man).

The Margaret Hughes you have mentioned was of interest to me previously as she also came from Field Street, Llangefni. Ellen and Catherine had a sister called Margaret they are all seen together as a family in the Llangefni census of 1841 and 1851. I have not ruled Margaret out completely as a possible mother for Owen though.

Unfortunately the 1851 census does not show what relationship Ellen and Owen Hughes are to Catherine in Pentraeth it just says that Ellen and Owen are boarders. The 1861 census states Owen as a nephew to Catherine. I am sure that Ellen is Catherine's sister because of the 17-18 year age difference and Llangefni birth place which also show up in the 1841 and 1851 census.

I may have the right family but I just may have the wrong sister. A thought did occur that with Ellen being so young did Margaret initially take on the role of mother for appearances sake?

As far as David Jones is concerned...I have a possible candidate in the 1841 and 1851 census but cannot prove it. There was a David Jones living at the Menai Bridge Tavern/Inn which was at the corner of Field Street/High Street, Llangefni. He was the son of the publican at the tavern and was only a couple of years older than Ellen. What is interesting is he is not there in the 1861 census but returns in the 1871 and 1881 census, has he done a runner and came back when Ellen had left for Pentraeth?

Thanks Roger/DragonT...you have stirred my thoughts again.

100% Gog
Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk