Author Topic: Possible WW1 original document  (Read 5289 times)

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible WW1 original document
« on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents have recently contributed some pics and info to a WW1 exhibition.  Whilst doing so my grandmother "remembered" that she had an "original" WW1 poem although no one knows from whence it came.

This poem is written on very thin, almost like tissue paper.  2 pages of it which have been folded into 4.  It appears to have been written in ink (I would have expected pencil).  It is signed by one R N Carter.

I have no idea if this is an original work (I certainly cannot find the poem anywhere).  My mother and I feel it is probably a facsimile.  How do we find out if it is original?  Because if it is, it ought to be preserved in a museum somewhere and not in Grannie's knicker drawer.  However if it is a facsimile, it can stay with her smalls!!!!

Plant - Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire
Bothamley, Pateman, Roffe,  - Northamptonshire
Thurlby, Baker, Kilbon - Lincolnshire
Hurry, Bishop - Cambridgeshire
Pretty, Coulson - Rutland
Shaw - Nottinghamshire
De Rippe - Rutland, Middlesex, Carlow

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible WW1 original document
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Firstly I think you'll need to find it. Then maybe take some good photos of it so people on here can make a more informed judgement.

Unless RN Carter is a person of note, I can't see any reason for an amateur poem to have been copied.I am not sure if copies would ever have been made on very thin tissue like paper, but thin paper may have be supplied to soldiers to write home as it would have been more lightweight to carry.

Ink vs pencil I would have thought there would have been some ink supplied, however suspect pencil would have been used more widely due to ease of use and transportation.

These are just my thoughts/guesses.

How did the poem get into your grandmother's possession? If you can locate the poem, if I were you I would ask the opinion of the people holding the WW1 exhibition.

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, when I said I couldnt find it, I meant I couldnt find it by using Google.  Mum has rescued the bit of paper and it is now quite safe (grandparents have a habit of having a "clear out" every now and again......).

Unfortunately, no one can remember how Grannie got it.  She had uncles who fought in WW1 as did my grandfather.  They seem to have acquired quite a bit in the way of pics and family bits and bobs.

I've asked for a copy and shall see if they mind if I post it.  My view is, that we may never know otherwise.

Edit to add:  The exhibition is a "Village story" type thing. We could ask, but I was hoping for an expert view as to whom might be best placed to comment on this type of thing.
Shaw - Nottinghamshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh I see.  :)
It's the kind of thing you probably need to see in person to feel and touch to make a judgement as to whether or not it is original, but a photo might help someone on here identify it one way or the other.

Does the name RN Carter fit in with your family? It might be worth doing bit of research if you haven't already done so.

PS. I know you have posted this on the correct board, but maybe the experts on the Armed Forces board might have more knowledge of these things. If you wish to, you can ask a moderator to move this thread for you.  :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 18:31 GMT (UK) »
There was a Lietenant R N Carter who served in the Dorsetshire Regiment and transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, but he doesn't appear on any list of war poets I can find.

We really need the text of the poem to find out if the author can be traced from it.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 14 01:39 GMT (UK) »
There was a Lietenant R N Carter who served in the Dorsetshire Regiment and transferred to the Royal Flying Corps, but he doesn't appear on any list of war poets I can find.

We really need the text of the poem to find out if the author can be traced from it.

All the best
Philip

Possibly just an amateur poet.  :-\

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 November 14 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I've got a copy now but unfortunately it is in .pdf and it is slightly too large for the board so I cant post it!  I shall have to ask mum to scan it as a jpeg.  Grrrrr!  Re-sizing a pdf file is beyond me!!!!!

I understand that when my great grannie and her husband died in the mid 1960s, my grandparents cleared out their house and it was amongst their possessions.  G Grannie had one brother who died and one brother who survived the war - her fiance was also killed.  Her husband had served in the War and he and one brother who survived, whilst one was killed.

The name R N Carter certainly doesnt fit with any family names. 
Shaw - Nottinghamshire

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 November 14 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Ah I might have managed it.  Opinions welcome.

Edit to add:  Oops, didnt include first page - they might be out of order now.
Shaw - Nottinghamshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 November 14 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if it was a poem already in existence which a member of your family just wrote down rather than composed themselves? A google search of a line or two did not give any results though.

It sounds quite professional .... but the writing is almost childlike.  :-\

I am not at all sure, but looking at the style of writing, I am wondering if it may be WW2 rather than WW1 era?  :-\ Someone may have some knowledge of styles of writing taught in those eras ...