Author Topic: Money values in modern terms  (Read 2586 times)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Money values in modern terms
« on: Wednesday 12 November 14 04:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me find out the value of some money that was left in wills in the early 18th century - what would be the modern equivalent?
 £45 in 1729 and £60 in 1739.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Money values in modern terms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 05:22 GMT (UK) »
There are many websites that can give you a very rough approximation. A couple of the popular ones are:
http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/
http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/

When you enter your numbers, you will get different results on each site, because there is not really a good 'modern equivalent'.

Alexander

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I'll give that a go.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 January 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I do monetary conversions using this site: www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/

The site offers three alternative measures of the equivalent value of any sum. These are:

(1)    the Historic Standard of Living value – which is ascertained by reference to the retail Prices Index

(2)   the Economic Status Value – which is ascertained by reference to the fraction or multiple of per-capita GDP which the sum represents then and now; and

(3)   the Economic Power Value – which is ascertained by reference to the absolute proportion of GDP which the sum represents then and now
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright