Author Topic: Bishop Oglethorpe  (Read 762 times)

Offline salley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bishop Oglethorpe
« on: Wednesday 12 November 14 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out if I am related to Bishop Oglethorpe who was born in Tadcaster Yorkshire in 1500 died 1559.  He crowned Queen Elizabeth 1 and is buried in a church Fleet Street London.  Elizabeth Oglethorpe is related to him but cannot find out if she was his sister.  I think we are related to Elizabeth.  Does anyone have any information.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop Oglethorpe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Greetings and welcome to Rootschat.

I think your best bet is to try the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography to see what it says about Owen Oglethorpe and his father.  There are other sources on the internet (such as wiki), but they are not always reliable!

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi salley1

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

As with all family history research, you need to start with yourself and work backwards. It's a major mistake to start so far back and try to work forwards.

Once you get your direct family back to 1911 through birth, marriage and death indexes, you should be able to find your family in the censuses back to 1841 and then back through parish records to the 1500's.

It may not be 'that easy' though

Bishops Owen Oglethorpe's life seems to have been well documented, I looked at the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. There are many other references to him on the internet.

Oglethorpe is not a particularly rare surname especially in the North West of the country, but there are less than 800 entries in the birth, marriage & death index 1837-1960 . You may find along the way, that many branches claim to be related to him.

The difficulty will come when ladies with such an unusual surname marry and their surname become far more frequently occurring.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline salley1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply's.

I do know Elizabeth Oglethorpe married a Mr Rasdale then a Mr Pearson who I am related to.