Author Topic: William Griffith(s), died Gwernymynydd May 1930  (Read 3115 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Griffith(s), died Gwernymynydd May 1930
« on: Thursday 13 November 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking for info re ancestors of above. National Probate Calendar entry:
GRIFFITHS William of Bryn Siriol Gwernymynydd FLINTSHIRE died 9 May 1930 probate LIVERPOOL 11 August to the Midland Bank Executor and Trustee Company Limited.
Effects £4182 18s.

Emyr

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Griffith(s), died Gwernymynydd May 1930
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 November 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you any other details on William. i.e. DOB or age on death.  Was he married?
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for info to confirm, or otherwise, that he was a late Master Mariner, born Portmadoc area c. 1848. Info from obituary in Mold area newspapers regarding family, if any, and gravestone inscription. If he's from the family I suspect he's from, then there are a number of Public Family Trees on Ancestry website where his name appears, but no info except birth date (1848), which appears to be from 1851/1861 Censuses. Can't trace him after that in Censuses, probably because of him being a mariner. This Master Mariner, according to his application for Master's Certificate, had the address, Borth, Portmadoc, and was born 13th April 1949.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Birth date from Captain's Certificate 1849, not 1949 !
Emyr

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello EmyrBorth,

The entry on The Welsh Mariners Index for William Griffiths b Portmadog 1849, Mariner, shows he died on 9 May 1930 in Mold. This can be seen here:

http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/search.php

The information on that site indicates he was something of a character. It says he died from Cerebral Thrombosis.

I don't know if you have looked for his Will. The fact there was a Grant of Probate would mean that there would be a Will held for him.

Jo

PS My apologies as the entry for William Griffith has not shown up on the link given. You should be able to search for this to see what it says.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 January 15 10:15 GMT (UK) »
I note Ancestry has a Certificate of Competency, First Mate, for William Griffiths. This is dated 10th May 1875. It says that he was born in 1849 and his birthplace was Portmadoc (sic). It was issued in Liverpool. There is also a Certificate of Competency as Only Mate, issued 17 January 1874. This shows Port of issue as Carnarvon (sic) and his year of birth as 1849. Place of birth given as Portmadoc (sic).

The information on The Welsh Mariners site shows that records exist for him in The National Archives at Kew.

There appear to be holdings for correspondence from him etc at the Records Office in Caernarvon.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/download/GB0219%20XM2070

See items at XM/2070/91 to XM/2070/93.

I think that obtaining his Will might yield the best clues about family and relatives. Like you, I cannot find him on a census.

Jo.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 January 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo
Thanks Jo and 'Hanes Teulu' who has contacted me by PM.
Will check info at Caernarfon Archives , that referred to thro' link you've provided, and shipping registers. My interest is in collecting maritime information relating to Porthmadog area. It's not funded and don't want to pay for BMD certificates and probate/wills. You pay for a copy of the probate documents and get a copy of the will free, IF there is one. Probate was granted to a bank.
I thought W.G. was the son of W.G. Snr., a Borthygest shipbuilder. I now think W.G. Jnr. died in the loss of sailing ship 'Wave' in February 1881 (see Welsh Mariners Database - William Griffith b. 1847).
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 February 15 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,
Have checked the records at Caernarfon Archives referred to in your link. They refer to a William Griffith of Pool St., Caernarfon, b. 1844, Fishguard.
Thanks.
Emyr