Author Topic: Lance Corporal George Henry Lun, 12th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 12/250  (Read 1250 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Henry Lun was born in 1880 at Usworth, Durham, son of William Lun and is wife Sarah Ann (nee Snowball). By 1900 George and his family had moved to Hull where he and his father William worked as Dock Labourers.

In 1900 George married Jane Ann Richardson and they had five children:

Sarah Jane Lun 1901 - 1917, Alfred Henry Lun 1902 - 1902, George William Lun 1904 - 1982, Faith Lun 1908, and Jenny (Jane) Lun 1908 - 1921.

On September 15th 1914 George enlisted at Central Hull recruiting Office into the 12th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment, who were known as the "Hull Sportsmen".

George travelled initially to Egypt to defend the Suez Canal, and then in 1916 he returned to France and was sadly killed in action on April 14th 1916.

George is buried in Sucrerie Military Cemetary, Colincamps, Somme, France and he was my great-great Uncle.

Offline andydja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lance Corporal George Henry Lun, 12th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 12/250
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Further to your post regarding Lance Corporal George Lun of the East Yorkshire Regiment (died 14/04/1916):  I notice you state George was your great great uncle, he was my Great Grandfather.  Faith Lun born (1908) was my maternal Grandmother.  My Mother is the youngest of the eight children of Faith Lun and Husband George Pearson:
James (deceased), Frederick (deceased), Faith (first daughter of Faith Lun, deceased), Herbert (living in Kent), Colin (living in Cambridgeshire), Brian (living in Barton upon Humber), Alan (living in Scunthorpe) and my Mother Jennifer (living in Barton upon Humber)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lance Corporal George Henry Lun, 12th Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment 12/250
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
    I have a family tree on ancestry if you are interested? Georges sister Margaret Ann Lun was my great grandmother.

Thanks, Andrew

Offline andydja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I, and my relatives,  would certainly be interested in the family tree. 

Regards

Andrew

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 16:52 GMT (UK) »
If it is of interest, the war diary of 12 East Yorkshire for the period 12 to 17 April 1916 records that they were four days in front line trenches during which time they lost eleven men killed or died of wounds.  The trench area on the  link http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.1141&lon=2.6753&layers=101464792&right=BingHyb is from a little later although substantially the same as earlier that year .  Their positions ran from about the middle of square 35 to the middle of square 29, seen at the bottom left.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline andydja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

Best regards

Andrew