Author Topic: IRELAND - newbie looking for a Matthew O'Halloran born circa 1890?-1915  (Read 1213 times)

Offline MagzJur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
IRELAND - newbie looking for a Matthew O'Halloran born circa 1890?-1915
« on: Thursday 13 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Greetings everyone!

I'm Mags and I've always had an interest in my family history. Having been laid up with a bad foot for the last few weeks, I've been building the family tree to keep myself sane but I'm coming up against brick walls.

I've applied for the marriage cert but I'm afraid the result won't get me too much farther than confirming this man married my Great Grandmother Maria in Co. Galway in 1933. Maria has a slightly unusual background regarding marriage so I'm wondering if anyone here may have heard or come across either of them in their research.

MATHEW O'HALLORAN married MARIA LEWIS formerly MARIA O'MALLEY formerly MARIA CONNOLLY in the district of MOUNTBELLEW. CO. GALWAY in 1933 (jan-march). Maria was originally from BALLYGAR, CO. GALWAY but family lore has it that she met Mathew (spelt as on the marriage cert detailing) in TUAM, CO. GALWAY.

Their daughter MARGARET (my grandmother) told her children that her father's people were from LOUGHREA, CO. GALWAY and that they were BAKERS by trade. I have had no luck finding or confirming the existence of Mathew in Loughrea from either 1901 or 1911 census forms although I have found Maria in both years and the existence of Halloran and O'Holloran bakers in the town. I don't know date of death or birth or what any family first names could be. Margaret had one brother MICHAEL but both individuals have passed on and no one left can shed any information.

Maria (approx 37 y/o) had 4 children at the time of her marriage to Mathew - 2 to each previous husband - which is why I think she may stick in people's minds especially as one of them would have been 19/20 at the time of their marriage. Mathew is supposed to be buried in Loughrea but I can't confirm this.

If there is anyone here from the LOUGHREA area, I'm curious about the graveyards there. I won't be able to visit until my foot is healed but if you can help me direct my inquires I would be grateful.

Hope someone can help me out,

Mags

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IRELAND - newbie looking for a Matthew O'Halloran born circa 1890?-1915
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 05:34 GMT (UK) »

I've applied for the marriage cert but I'm afraid the result won't get me too much farther than confirming this man married my Great Grandmother Maria in Co. Galway in 1933.

It depends on the detail shown of Mathew's father, if the forename and/or occupation is unusual / uncommon, then you have something to work with. Either way, it would be worth posting the details from the marriage record once you get it.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome,

Looking at the marriage index, there could be an alternative name of Martin. Did the family always know him as Matthew?
There is a Martin here in 1911 with a father Michael,  a baker. He might be a bit young though.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Loughrea_Urban/Main_Street/465048/

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MagzJur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, my immediate family have no idea what Mathew's father's name was or anything like that.

He died when my Grandmother was quite young and there was no contact maintained with Mathew's children and his parents or siblings. No one can recall my Great Grandmother talking about them in any great detail other than to say he was buried with his family.

Heywood - the name is Mathew though the spelling could be with two T's or even Matthias, my uncle is named after him so that's why I am certain. Other family members are known by other names but we are all aware of what the true names are.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
It's perhaps just a transcription difficulty then in the index.

Hopefully, the marriage certificate will have the answer.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Was the child Michael his son? 
If so, then maybe he was Martin/Matthew perhaps as the 1911 census.

Offline MagzJur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 14 16:21 GMT (UK) »
The Michael I mentioned was Mathew O'Halloran's son, who was born in the 1930s.

Michael could be a family name but until I get the copy of the marriage cert I can't say for sure.. am unable to verify for myself by any other means.

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 November 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  when you search the Ireland civil registration index for a marriage in 1933 of Maria Lewis on familysearch.org there is a hit in Jan_Mar quarter in mountbellew district volume 4 page 153.

Then search for o halloran gets a match for Martin o halloran. With the same page and volume
So  the person who married Maria definitely called himself Martin at that time even though your family later knew him as Matthew.

Cheers
Kevin (Meath999)

Offline MagzJur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 November 14 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kevin,

Martin and Mathew O'Halloran both married in that quarter in 1933 and are both listed on the same page as Maria Lewis..    :)  Patiently waiting for the hardcopy

Magz