Author Topic: Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney  (Read 17416 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney
« on: Friday 14 November 14 09:19 GMT (UK) »
On 15 February 1849 Alexander Sim junior, Collooney, married Jane Mary Allan Aitken, daughter of Robert Aitken and Jean Shanks, in Glasgow.

Their family included Jane Mary Robertina (married Robert Perry in 1872); Eugenia; Kathleen; Jessie Ann (married William Johnstone in 1880); Anna; Alexandrina; Maxwell; Alexander (married Alexandrina, surname and date of marriage unknown); Robert Aitken (married Annie Campbell in 1888). As far as I know all of them were born in Ireland, but I have no dates or details.

I think Alexander died in 1882 at Collooney; probate was granted to his solicitor and two unmarried ?daughters on 10 November 1882.

In the 1891 census, Jane Mary, described as a widow, was living at Roseneath, Dunbartonshire, Scotland with her daughter Kathleen and four grandchildren. She died at Roseneath in 1906.

In 1901 and 1911 Alexander Sim, wife Alexandrina and two daughters were living at Collooney.

I would be interested in any information to fill in the gaps in the information I have, and to add descendants.

Am I right in thinking that Alexander Sim, grain merchant, who is listed in the Glasgow Post Office directories from 1842-3 until 1847-8, is the same Alexander Sim junior? Was he also the owner of the barque Collooney (287 tons), built in Aberdeen in 1844, owned by A Sim, Glasgow, and eventually wrecked in 1862?

In his uncle's will, dated 1884, Maxwell Sim of Forsyth was to receive a gold watch. Where is Forsyth?

Who was the father of granddaughter Mary Sim, born in England and aged 9 in the 1891 census?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 14 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, aghadowey. I'll have to see how I can get a copy of that.

The plot thickens. According to the 1911 census, Alexander and Alexandrina Sim had been married for 23 years, i.e. 1887/8.

There is in the Cheshire marriages index a marriage on 20 December 1887 of Alexander Sim, son of Alexander Sim, to Alexandrina Sim, daughter of Alexander Sim.

The 1901 census says that Alexandrina was born in Scotland, but the 1911 says she was born in Co Sligo. Also she aged 13 years between 1901 and 1911 (42 to 55) and Alexander aged 15 years in the same period (40 to 55). There is no birth of an Alexandrina Sim to father Alexander between 1855 and 1860 in the Scottish indexes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 14 14:42 GMT (UK) »

... As far as I know all of them were born in Ireland, but I have no dates or details ...

The RootsIreland website has 10 baptisms for this couple, all I can say is good value if you want to see many records, not good if you want to see just a few. I've sent you a pm.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, aghadowey. I'll have to see how I can get a copy of that.

"...Most pre-1900 deposited wills were destroyed by the 1922 shelling of the Public Record Office located in the Four Courts building in Dublin, marking the beginning of the civil war. However, some paper indexes exist for pre-1858 wills. Copies of wills made between 1858 and 1922 were kept by the District Probate Registries and so survived. Those covering the years between 1858 and 1900 have been microfilmed. ..."
http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/wills-amp-admons-ireland/168/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens. According to the 1911 census, Alexander and Alexandrina Sim had been married for 23 years, i.e. 1887/8.

There is in the Cheshire marriages index a marriage on 20 December 1887 of Alexander Sim, son of Alexander Sim, to Alexandrina Sim, daughter of Alexander Sim.

The 1901 census says that Alexandrina was born in Scotland, but the 1911 says she was born in Co Sligo. Also she aged 13 years between 1901 and 1911 (42 to 55) and Alexander aged 15 years in the same period (40 to 55). There is no birth of an Alexandrina Sim to father Alexander between 1855 and 1860 in the Scottish indexes.
#
Alexander James Sim married 1887-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3G1-HB3

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. Yes, I found that marriage, which ties in nicely with Alexandrina having been married 23 years by the date of the 1911 census.

I have e-mailed the National Archives in Dublin to enquire how I can see that will without travelling to Ireland in person. Though it mighthave to come to that, I suppose.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The RootsIreland website has 10 baptisms for this couple
I've sent you a pm.

Thank you, gaffy. I have had a rake around on the RootsIreland site, and the Co Sligo genealogy site. The latter says it has no records at all for surname Sim  ??? So perhaps the children were born somewhere other than Sligo.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile