Author Topic: Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney  (Read 17415 times)

Offline poolmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
OK back to the drawing board for me....I can see you are pretty sharp on this stuff!!!
This might help a bit with Anna's story....
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/small-store-that-made-huge-contribution-to-war-effort-30480621.html

Researching Scottish families:
McArthur, Glencro, Argyll; Morison/Campbell, Inveraray; Argyll; Bell, Kippen, Sterling; Shira, Deanston, Perthshire; Pool, Annan, Dumfreisshire; Sim, Glasgow & Sligo, Ireland;

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
This might help a bit with Anna's story....
That's wonderful, thank you very much. Some of the details don't match the records (marriage was 1915, not after the war, and Hugh's death in 1923, not 1922) but the story is great.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Afer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
I am a grandson of Walter Stewart Sim who was born in Collooney sometime in the 1850s or 60s. He was a consulting engineer in Cape Town, South Africa. I am interested in obtaining a copy of his birth certificate

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
I am a grandson of Walter Stewart Sim who was born in Collooney sometime in the 1850s or 60s. He was a consulting engineer in Cape Town, South Africa. I am interested in obtaining a copy of his birth certificate

Civil registration of births started in 1864 so if he was born before this date there will be no birth certificate and you're dependant on church registers surviving (not all records are online).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
In a conversation with the writer, Mr. Sim has given the following version of his difference with the Messrs. Kelly : Mr. Sim took the Collooney mills from William and Andrew Kelly, under lease for 50 years, at 500 per year, the term running from 1838.

"When the Agricultural Bank failed, Camphill was among its assets, the bank having advanced
money on the security of that property. The place was advertised tor sale, and Mr. Sim went to old Andrew Kelly, and said, " How are you now to secure me in the guarantee you gave of not allowing additional
opposition?" " The only way to act," replied Mr. Kelly, "is to buy the property yourself, which the Provincial Bank will sell for 4500, and let us now go and see Mr. Webster, the manager." Accordingly,
they went to the Provincial Bank, but the manager refused to transmit any proposal for purchase without a deposit of 1000. Mr. Sim deposited the money, was declared the purchaser, and [was put in possession of
Camphill. After the taking of possession, but before the deeds were completed, Mr. Kelly said to him, "Now that you have succeeded, I expect a consideration of .300 for my trouble." "No," rejoined the
other, " nor 300 pence." The war then arose, and lasted for seven months,
after which Father Michael Flynn came to Mr. Sim, and said, "Oh, this thing has gone too far, and what do you mean to do ?" In reply Mr- Sim informed the priest that if he got the purchase-money and payment
for his improvements, he would give up Camphill. Father Flynn went to Sligo, had an interview with the Messrs. Madden, Mr. Kelly's brothers-in-law, and got the money for Mr. Sim, so that the affair was
completed. On leaving Mr. Sim received 6000, Sir John Benson valuing the improvements at 1000.

https://archive.org/stream/historyantiquiti00ororiala/historyantiquiti00ororiala_djvu.txt
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
Corn Mill (mik997) by mik997 (flickr) Tags: mill river corn alexander sim collooney millfalls owenmore Share on: Facebook Twitter Tumblr Email

Image 34 of 50   https://hiveminer.com/User/mik997
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Afer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I'll see what I can do. Perhaps the Irish Consulate in Athens will accept the proofs I already have - my father's birth certificate. I'm also interested in another Sim relation of the late nineteenth/early twentieth century who settled on St Helena

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I'll see what I can do. Perhaps the Irish Consulate in Athens will accept the proofs I already have - my father's birth certificate. I'm also interested in another Sim relation of the late nineteenth/early twentieth century who settled on St Helena

Are you trying obtain an Irish passport/claim Irish citizenship through your grandfather's Irish birth?
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/born-abroad-citizenship-by-descent-faqs/
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Afer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am. Thanks very much for the link