Author Topic: Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney  (Read 17413 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Sim, of Sim's Mills, Collooney
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both.

No death of Maxwell Sim in QLD, NSW or VIC :(
Or in NZ

Nothing in Trove or Paperspast.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Forfarian...

I hadn't viewed the image when I posted the details Reply #69

Maxwell G was an AB (Seaman)

May be worth checking details of the ship for place possibilities?

"Vessel Name Leura"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both.

No death of Maxwell Sim in QLD, NSW or VIC :(
Or in NZ

Nothing in Trove or Paperspast.

Sims   ??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle..
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I do have quite a lot of information about the barque 'Collooney' but that was new to me.

The SS 'Leura' was built in Liverpool in 1878 and seems mostly to have shuttled between Sydney, Melbourne and Port Adelaide.

No death of Maxwell Sim in South Australia.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
Sims   ??
Quite a few, but not the one I am looking for.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 25 October 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Having finally bitten the bullet and paid up for the death certificate of Alexander Sim, who died in 1892 in Wallasey, I am not really surprised that I am not much the wiser. In particular I still lack sufficient proof that he is Alexander Sim junior of Sim's Mills, Collooney, and (estranged) husband of Jane Mary Allan Aitken.

The informant was William John Coffee, in whose household Alexander Sim was a boarder in both 1881 and 1891. In 1881 Alexander Sim was described as 'Merchant's clerk'. In 1891 he was 'Retired miller'. In his death certificate he is described as 'formerly a foreman Dock Porter'.

In 1881 and Jane Mary, living apart from her husband, describes herself as married, and in 1891 and 1901 she says widowed. Alexander says in both 1881 and 1891 that he is married.

(I did look into William John Coffee to see if he was some sort of relative but it looks unlikely. WJC was born in London in 1825, son of Matthew Coffee and Elizabeth Wyatt. He moved with his family to Liverpool before 1841. In 1851 WJC was living in Liverpool with his sister Alice and her husband John Bibby. Later that year he married Hannah Hewitt. In 1851 he was described as an 'annuitant'. In 1861 and 1871 he was a 'licensed victualler' and in 1881 and 1891 an 'emigration agent'.)

Does anyone have any ideas of any other source that might provide evidence that the Alexander Sim who died in 1892 was indeed the husband of Jane Mary Allan Aitken?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 26 October 18 04:01 BST (UK) »
"Does anyone have any ideas of any other source that might provide evidence that the Alexander Sim who died in 1892 was indeed the husband of Jane Mary Allan Aitken?"

Forfarian, it's just too late for me to run through all of this thread to capture everything so far but possibly finding a will with their children's names even if the wife isn't mentioned...just a thought?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 26 October 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
I have searched the Calendar of Probate and found no evidence that he left a will.