Author Topic: MacKinnons of Skye  (Read 6617 times)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacKinnons of Skye
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica.  Great information.  Yes, I picked a couple of crofters with children Donald, Flora and Mary, but no Neil, but then Neil could have been a late arrival!!  I will wait a while to see if the owner of this private tree on Ancestry.com comes back to me. and then continue.  You are all being so kind with your help.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Robert ended up in Southampton. I believe he was in the Second World War.

An educated guess would be that Robert/Roderick was in the RN (Royal Navy), the fact that his home base was Southampton? but don't take this as fact.

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just read all these messages as I'm looking for a Robert born abt 1800, married Agnes brown and had my gtgt gran abigail in Lesmahagow. Hopefully will ring bells but the real reason I've joined this thread is abigail was registered as McConnon. My theory being the registrar picked up the name incorrectly. This happened often, especially if the informant couldn't read.
Elaine

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 August 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

The date for your Robert b c1800 is a bit far off the OP's Robert born c1919 unless it's a typo  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I really don't have much to tell you about Robert. His dgt abigail was born abt 1825 in Lesmahagow, mum was Agnes brown. Her name seems to be written as McConnon and later folks have her as. Ab McConnor mckinnon. Her death cert has her dgt of Agnes brown and Robert mckinnon, carting contractor. She was married to Robb.abigail was my gt gt gran.
Now Robert, folks have him born in Dumfries and some Inveraray. There's def some confusion over spelling of name. I will have to find his death and hope it's late enough to show parents.
I'm dna matched to the mckinnons from syke, barra, mull but this could be through my dad as his gt grandparents were Mcdonald and mcinnes in glencoe who appear to be connected to the mckinnons. The Robert and abigail story is from mums side.
That's all I've got. Thanks for the reply