Author Topic: 406th Field Company Royal Engineers/ Renfrewshire Yeomanry  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Thermo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
406th Field Company Royal Engineers/ Renfrewshire Yeomanry
« on: Saturday 15 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My Grandfather fought in WW1 at La Bassee Canal and was mentioned in dispatches for action on the 18th April 1918. I would like to find out more about the company leading up to and including this action. My Grandfather Daniel Stevenson 420215 Cpl, and I suspect his older and younger brother, John and James were also fighting in the same area.  I have Day Diaries for this period and have information on Daniel's action that day, but have been unable to trace John or James.
Does the regiment have a museum or archive locally where I can access records. 1911 Census shows the family at 52 Caledonia Street Paisley.

Thanks David
Stevenson - Neilston, Paisley, Glasgow
Hillcoat - Paisley
Grant - Kinlochluichart, Kingussie
Paton - Lothian, Ayrshire
McCulloch Paisley, Glasgow
Watson - Ayrshire, Yorkshire, Glasgow
Ross - Forres
Regan - Monmouthshire
Carson - Belfast
Rankin - Glasgow and Paisley

Offline eddy1899

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: 406th Field Company Royal Engineers/ Renfrewshire Yeomanry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 16:18 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather, F Price 230775 won a Military Medal in the same action on that day. I do not have specific details of what happened, apart from the war diaries, and I would be interested in anything that you have regarding the circumstances surrounding this.

Offline johnboy

• RootsChat Member
  • All who wander are not lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Grandfather fought in WW1 at La Bassee Canal and was mentioned in dispatches for action on the 18th April 1918. I would like to find out more about the company leading up to and including this action. My Grandfather Daniel Stevenson 420215 Cpl, and I suspect his older and younger brother, John and James were also fighting in the same area.  I have Day Diaries for this period and have information on Daniel's action that day, but have been unable to trace John or James.
Does the regiment have a museum or archive locally where I can access records. 1911 Census shows the family at 52 Caledonia Street Paisley.

Thanks David

Some time since this was posted but I've found Daniel was granted a pension when he was discharged in 1919 because of GSWs to his right leg & arm, his address then is shown as 10 Greenock Road Paisley.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Brompton: Burn, Winn
Bedale: Caygill,Auton
Greenock: Wilson, Crawford, Gillies, Blue & others

Offline 71Engr102Sqn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Gents, it's early days but I'm looking to research the history of the Sqn and try and obtain citations where I can.  If you have made any progress, please let me know thanks.  I'll do the same as I come across things.