Author Topic: Why did my gg grandparents wait so long to get married?  (Read 5705 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did my gg grandparents wait so long to get married?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 November 14 10:34 GMT (UK) »
On the censuses etc did they present as married?

It may have been every body thought they were married so they hadn't got round to it and then when one got ill (or even just older) they suddenly thought there may be legal implications over next of kin if they weren't married so did it quietly - would fit with registry office)

As the younger (I'm presuming your g grandmother) was 20 when her first child was born it may have been that her parents wouldn't consent

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 November 14 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Back in the start of the 19th century and earlier it was believed that marriage create a blood relationship and many of these laws derive from that belief.  As an example you will find that what we now call a sister in law was referred to as a sister and not distinguished from a "true" blood sister.  Incidentally they did use the term sister in law for what we would now call a step sister.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thetowers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 November 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
There was 'The Deceased Brother's Widow's Marriage Act' in 1921.

Sounds complicated but if she had been previously married to his brother who died then they would not have been legally able to marry until this time.

Christine

PS Welcome from me, too  :)

My brother's wife's great-great-great-great grandmother married a man in 1831  and when he died two years later she promptly married his younger brother the year after that.    Where,  and when,  are you claiming that this was illegal ?

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 November 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I have one in my family tree - from what I can tell it was illegal but widely ignored

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 November 14 12:46 GMT (UK) »
  Incidentally they did use the term sister in law for what we would now call a step sister.

That's interesting too. Do you know what the correct relationship would have been for a "cousin-in-law" as I have one but can't match him yet  ::)

My theory regarding the late marriage may have been that one or other may not have been "accepted" & married when that one's parent's passed  ???

Annie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 16 November 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Annie - from my experience a "cousin in law" could mean all manner of things! I've seen the term "cousin" used for any type of relative that's not easily describable, not just for a first cousin as we would use the term for today. I would imagine they're connected to your family in some way, so it's worth doing a little research to see what the connection is.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 November 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »

I have traced my gg grandfather, and as far as I can tell from online records he had never been married before, especially as he was only 19 when they had their first child.

My gg grandmother on the other hand is a complete enigma. I have her history traced after 1875 but before that I know nothing of her life.

She was older than her husband and I did suspect that she could have been married before. However her name is so common and changeable that I have no way of narrowing down any possible marriages with other people. Also her being listed as spinster made me question this.

Hello,
If gt grandmother was 24 yrs on marriage, then she could quite easily already have been married.
My grandparents didn't marry until forty or so years later because she had been previously married and they waited until first husband died. Not sure whether this was known to their family, I only found out through censuses and records.
Have you asked for help re tracing her?
Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 November 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »

My brother's wife's great-great-great-great grandmother married a man in 1831  and when he died two years later she promptly married his younger brother the year after that.    Where,  and when,  are you claiming that this was illegal ?
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deceased_Wife%27s_Sister%27s_Marriage_Act_1907

Looking at this information, if they married in England and Wales before 1835 it may not have been illegal, but the marriage could have been made void at the request of one or other party - see Henry VIII and his marriage to Catherine of Aragon, widow of his older brother Arthur!. 

However it became illegal under the Marriage Act of 1835

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 November 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I'd be interested to know more about the The Deceased Brother's Widow's Marriage Act.

Many couples ignored the law, and many clergy overlooked it. In fact there were petitions from clergymen who implored that a Bill might be passed, since many of their parishioners had already married their sisters-in-law, under the belief that this was the best thing for the children, and of course it was the best thing for the children. However as late as 1949 a Marriage Act was passed that, among other provisions, prohibited marriage between a man and his divorced wife's sister.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk