Author Topic: (Alice) Muriel Mullenger, born 7th July 1913  (Read 9659 times)

Offline Nadine44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Alice) Muriel Mullenger, born 7th July 1913
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Lottie Mullenger of Tivetshall St Margaret, who was working as a kitchen maid at Earlham Hall in 1913, gave birth to a daughter ALICE MURIEL MULLENGER on 7th July 1913 at the Middlesex Hospital in London.  This child was known as MURIEL, rather than Alice.  Muriel's mother Lottie, died in Scarborough in 1924 when Muriel was almost 12 years old.  Does anyone know what happened to MURIEL after her mother's death?  Was she perhaps adopted (unofficially) and/or changed her surname, as the only record I have found for Muriel is her birth certificate. 
Aged 101 (in 2014) there is the possibility that Muriel might still be alive, and a spinster, which would explain the absence of marriage and death records at the GRO.
Will be grateful for any info ... even rumour or speculation!  Thank you.  Nadine
Mullenger (Tivetshall St Margaret)
Howarth
Skipper (Kirby Cane and Holme Hale)
Grice (family of Mary Anne Grice, born circa 1820)
Mason, Child, Newman, Ollett, Turner, Heyhoe, Law

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: (Alice) Muriel Mullenger, born 7th July 1913
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a possible marriage in Lewisham in 1946:

Alice M Mullenger  JunQ 1946    Lewisham   1d   1914      Groom:  Albert W Reeves.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nadine44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to help me with my quest Nanny Jan! 
I have obtained the marriage certificate for Alice M Mullenger and Albert Reeves but found this was Alice MAUD Mullenger.  The marriage certificate gave her father's name which (disappointingly) confirmed that this was not who I was looking for.  Lottie Mullenger was unmarried when she gave birth to MURIEL in 1914 (and also NANCY in 1917) - the names of their fathers are not shown on either birth certificate.
I also found an Alice MAY Mullinger, who married Albert Baker in 1966 ... but alas she was not "my Alice Muriel" either.
Thanks again.  Nadine
Howarth

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
what about
Alice Mullinger and Thomas Hinks Jun 1934 Barnsley 9c 540

and
Muriel Mullinger and Victor Burrell  Dec 1936 Surrey NW 2a 856

yokel

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 14 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked for deaths for Alice Muriel with birth date 7th July 1913 (also look under Muriel)

If nothing showing then died since 2007,  before 1969, or moved abroad or changed name.  (Or someone got her birth date wrong).

Offline Nadine44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks YOKEL!  I have been able to rule out both the HINKS and BURRELL marriages, and, unfortunately, lots more besides which has led me to think that Muriel either never married or married under a surname other than Mullenger (and its variants).  If Muriel had married, say, between 1930 and 1940, do you know whether she would have had to provide the registrar/vicar with a copy of her birth certificate or another form of identification?

Thank you too, CHEMPAT .. I have waded through the deaths of Alices, Muriels, As, Ms and variants with dates of birth registered as 7/7/13 and drew a blank.  I searched a couple of months & years either side of July 1913 too as, from experience, realise that the person registering a death often has no idea of a persons age (even Muriel's aunt, who registered her sister Lottie's death, got her age wrong by 2 years ... and the sister was only 6 years older than Lottie!). 

I have searched probate records; burial and cremation records; the London Gazette on line; www.iAnnounce.co.uk (for deaths, birthday greetings, etc); on line versions of local newspapers for the whole UK in the hope of finding Muriel celebrating her 100th birthday back in July 2013!! 
The only thing I am sure about is the fact that my late grandmother really did have a sister called Muriel from whom she had been separated whilst very young  - something we had no proof of until earlier this year.

If only we could turn back the clock a few decades ... but that of course would mean we would not yet have access to all this fantastic detailed information at our fingertips!
Howarth

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 November 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
You have not explained how you know she was known as Muriel, were there some other documents about her?

Similarly, how do you know that she was not adopted, unofficially, soon after birth?

Offline Nadine44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was Muriel's younger sister and she spoke of having a sister named Muriel.  My grandmother was only 6 years old when her mother (Lottie) died and this is when we might assume the sisters were split up - but they may never have met nor ever lived together, we have no way of knowing.

My grandmother, we know, was brought to Leicestershire and raised by a couple who were working with Lottie when she died suddenly at the age of 32. 

We do not know whether Muriel was adopted soon after birth but in the past couple of days have found a press report in The Lancashire Daily Post dated 17th June 1930 under the heading 'Girl Bather Robbed' part of it reads  " ... Miss Muriel Mullinger, a German girl, of Draycott-avenue, Sloane-square, had her hand-bag rifled and the sum of 17s 6d stolen from it..." 
This happened whilst she was bathing in the Serpentine in Hyde Park.  It is a mystery why an event in London would be reported in a Lancashire newspaper.
We are now wondering whether Muriel might have been 'adopted' by a German couple at birth and brought up as German - but retained the surname she had at birth (which was actually Mullenger with an e, rather than Mullinger with an i).
Of course, we do not know that the Muriel Mullinger mentioned was "our" Muriel but given the lack of UK evidence unearthed so far, it's got to be worth following up.  If anyone knows how I might go about trying to find Muriel in Germany I'd be grateful for any help.  (I have already checked overseas BMD's registered with the GRO).

Nadine
Howarth

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Draycott Avenue does show on the ER's in 1930 - but if the family were German they would not?

Anything else in the newspaper report to suggest why it was in a Northern newspaper - or did they report on other minor London events?