Author Topic: Admission Register Look-up Please?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Admission Register Look-up Please?
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if some kind soul local to Swansea might be able to do a Look-up at The Archives for me please? I have ascertained that these Registers are held by The Archives , and can be checked in the Public Searchroom. (I'm in Hertfordshire, and not able to get there in the near future).

I am interested in The Admission Register  for The Swansea Municipal Boy's Secondary School (Dynevor) for the period:

1908 - 1911.

The person that I am looking for is my late Father, Evan Douglas WILSON (1896 - 1957). On the 1911 Census his Father William James Wilson describes him as 'An Apprentice to Painting', and so he has obviously left School by then, (although he went to Sea rather than staying with Painting). His elder brother, William Havelock Wilson (1894 - 1974) was at that School from 1907 - 1908, and if Evan Douglas Wilson also went there, - I would expect it to have been between 1908 - 1911.

Many Thanks,
Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Admission Register Look-up Please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly...

I should be over there on Friday 28 November as things stand (on my way to the (old) boys' night out  ;D ). I'll have a look. Do you have the file reference(s) to hand?

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 14 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly...
I should be over there on Friday 28 November as things stand (on my way to the (old) boys' night out  ;D ). I'll have a look. Do you have the file reference(s) to hand?
Bernard

That's very kind of you Bernard, - many thanks.

I'll put the References for both volumes, but I would imagine that the second one is the more likely.

They are:

E/Dyn Sec 2/1 Admission Register, 1900-1908

E/Dyn Sec 2/2 Admission Register, 1908-1911

My late Father, Evan Douglas Wilson was Born on the 27th May 1896, and so if he followed in his elder brother's footsteps, he would have gone firstly to the Church of England Elementary in Oxford Street, and then for the final year, (1908 - 1909) to The Swansea Municipal Boy's Secondary, (Dyvenor). (I would think that Ernest Rencella Wilson (1897 - 1957) would have followed the same path the year after him).

Enjoy your 'Old Boy's' Night out, - and have a drink from me(!) ;D ;D
Cheers, Romilly :)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Bernard,
With apologies pre-empting your next Friday's visit. Happened to be in the Archives earlier today thus took the opportunity to check the Dynevor Registers. On my way way to my usual couple of Friday afternoon beers!!
Romilly,
The Registers you identified covered the period 5/IX/1901 to 14/IX/1911. William Havelock Wilson, No 182, was admitted 3/IX/1907. No mention of Evan Douglas in this period.

Took a copy of William Havelock's admission - will PM you.

Quite separately, have you spotted Evan Douglas on Welshnewspapers on line? Looks like he may have had a career change 'twixt painting and the Navy - South Wales Weekly Post, 14 April, 1917 

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 14 20:47 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for looking Hanes teulu, - much appreciated.

That is very curious, - I had thought that as William Havelock Wilson went to Dyvenor, the younger boys would follow. But perhaps my Father went to Swansea Grammar instead? (I know that George Felix Wilson went there).

I have tried searching the Welshnewspapers on-line Site without success for any mention of Evan Douglas Wilson, - but it's not a Site that I'm familiar with, & perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

I am now very intrigued, - how do I find the Article? Is it possible to post a Link please?

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 November 14 21:57 GMT (UK) »
http://papuraunewyddcymru.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/4110420/ART73/evan%20douglas%20wilson

Here it is :)

Cas

Gosh! Many thanks Cas. That would explain why he later worked for "The Daily Mail" newspaper in London.

Romilly :)
Researching: