Author Topic: Mackintosh family tree's  (Read 21606 times)

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh family tree's
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Have any of you done the Ancestry DNA test?

I have, and I'd be interested to see if it has 'connected' any of us McIntosh's that have.

Sue

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There's no such thing as "membership" of ScotlandsPeople, an official Scottish Government site. Anyone can visit the site and perform a very basic free search. If you want to take things further then just register free of charge and buy a few credits to dig deeper.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Imber: I stand corrected re the Scotlandspeople site and 'membership'!

I know how it works as I have used it in the past, very unsuccessfully I might add, so 'wasted' my credits. Now I'm too wary to use it again. :(

I have no objection to paying a yearly membership if that option was offered, I already subscribe to two sites in this manner (A***stry and F**P). Spend many a happy hour searching those and have done for years.

Cheers

Sue

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I have no objection to paying a yearly membership if that option was offered

I wish! But at the moment there is no subscription option.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I have no objection to paying a yearly membership if that option was offered, I already subscribe to two sites in this manner (A***stry and F**P). Spend many a happy hour searching those and have done for years.

Sue,

There is plenty of info. on how to use SP (in laymens terms) or just ask on here.

Once you work out how to manipulate it..........it can be very cost effective & you can download certs. there & then at a fraction of the cost for other sites whereby you have to order them by snail mail unless of course they fall in with date restrictions but can be ordered via their site at no extra cost like others do as a third party & it's the only place you can purchase Scottish records.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Rosinish: You're convincing me to try SP again! The 'clincher' was that certificates can be ordered via the site!

I will make it my 'project' for 2016 to find my way around it. I have many certificates proving my links, but not had a Scottish one in the collection.

Have spent this morning going through these posts again (printed out) and checking/adding to my tree re laptop. I previously had only filled in my direct lines - now looking at their siblings. The various McIntosh/Mackintosh families certainly seem to like using the same names!

Sue

Offline Soup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 10 June 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Am I a little bit excited!

Booked a holiday 'up North' in Durham area, as we are planning on moving to the North in the next couple of years (I was brought up in Whitby, Nth Yorkshire) so am considering it a move 'home' albeit a bit further North! This trip will be a recce of the area to see where we want to settle. We're going to be staying not far from Stanhope.

Was investigating local interests and looking at a map. Spotted that Wolsingham wasn't far from where we were staying and thought 'that place name is familiar'. Checked FH program and was reminded that my McIntosh's were from there! So now some family history is also on the agenda, checking out the church, etc for graves.

Have got not further with my research re McIntosh's as I've been looking at other family. But now am checking and making a list ready for the trip!

Excited :)

Anyone related living locally I would love a chance to meet up! (July/August - 2 weeks)

A reminder I am descended from: John McIntosh and Ann's son William M McIntosh and his second wife Rachael (nee Brown) - my 4 x Gt Grandparents.

Cheers

Sue

Offline lawrence.hatter

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 08 October 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

Working on the principle that people didn't move around so much in those days I looked for the baptism record of a Robert Mackintosh in the same Parish and found one 1694. That would make Robert 44 years at the age of his marriage.

Duncan Mcintosh married Jean Brisbaine (Brisben)11 APR 1672 and had the following children

William Mcintosh(1673)
Lauglane Mcintosh(1678)
Mary Mcintosh(1680)
Jean Mcintosh(1681)
James Mcintosh(1682)
John Mcintosh(1684)
Helen Mcintosh(1686)
Robert Mackintosh(1694)

Well Robert Mackintosh(1694) might or might not be the Robert Mcintosh who married Euphame Johstone in 1738. I forgot to mention earlier that record shows the father of Euphame Johnstone  as George Johnstone. It is early days yet.

Mctosh

In case anyone arrives at this thread looking into Duncan McIntosh or his descendants, Duncan is recorded in the Edinburgh Register of Apprentices as the son of the late McIntosh of Aberarder in 1661. This would make him the son of William McIntosh of Aberarder, grandson of Duncan of Aberarder, great-grandson of Lachlan McIntosh of that Ilk. Edinburgh Register of Apprentices, p.119.