Author Topic: Mackintosh family tree's  (Read 21669 times)

Offline Mctosh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mackintosh family tree's
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 January 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Working on the principle that people didn't move around so much in those days I looked for the baptism record of a Robert Mackintosh in the same Parish and found one 1694. That would make Robert 44 years at the age of his marriage.

Duncan Mcintosh married Jean Brisbaine (Brisben)11 APR 1672 and had the following children

William Mcintosh(1673)
Lauglane Mcintosh(1678)
Mary Mcintosh(1680)
Jean Mcintosh(1681)
James Mcintosh(1682)
John Mcintosh(1684)
Helen Mcintosh(1686)
Robert Mackintosh(1694)

Well Robert Mackintosh(1694) might or might not be the Robert Mcintosh who married Euphame Johstone in 1738. I forgot to mention earlier that record shows the father of Euphame Johnstone  as George Johnstone. It is early days yet.

Mctosh

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 January 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Well done Mctosh, you have the lead on this ;) and my are you doing well :D
Looking forward to your posts more than ever :)

Thank you and once again well done ;)

Derek
Casey,Comaskey,McDade,O'Brien,Dinely, Farrell,
McKay, Sharkey, Phillips, Marren.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 January 15 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i got my wires crossed for awhile there Robert Hunter Mackintosh his mother Ann's
maiden name could still be hunter ;),
how to connect these early McIntosh's to our Wolsingham folks :D

Derek ;)

Offline jennymack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to have aroused some interest and then be a bit erratic in coming on here, I'm not ignoring you, honestly - I'm back at Uni today, after a very busy weekend of meetings and sick children! I went to look where I thought I had stored various documents (electronically) and work I did on the family tree last year to link the Edinburgh Mackintoshes to the rest, and I can't get into the account where I think they are - I'm trying to track down some emails that helped me get to that point at the time, but haven't got there yet as they are also in an old email account. So....a bit useless, and nothing to update you on!

The good news is that I have started a new project at Uni today and I am doing something which will allow me to spend a fair bit of time on the computer doing more family research, and yet I can still call it coursework! Hopefully I will be able to crack the code of the account I can't get into, and dig out the info.

Jenny

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Ok jenny ;)

Good luck.

Derek

Offline Mctosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 January 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek and Jennymack

The question is whether John Mackintosh c.1743 (Wolsingham) is the son of Robert Mackintosh and Euphame Johnson (married 1738) Edinburgh?

At the risk of doing Jennymack's University coursework for her;

I have been checking original source material from the Scotlands People website and you may be interested in some details. The writing is difficult and I have no experience reading and interpreting old documents but feel free to check yourselves for any errors or misinterpretations.

The marriage of Duncan Mcintosh and Jean Brisbain took place 11th April 1672.

In the baptism of Robert Mackintosh 13th April 1694 the occupation of Duncan is that of a merchant and baillie (I believe this to be a civic office) which shows he was a prominent person.

In the marriage of Robert Mackintosh 26th March 1738 his occupation is shown as a Writter (I believe that to be a lawyer) and he is of that parish. Euphame Johnstone is the daughter of the deceased George Johnstone in time in Orkney but now in this parish.

The baptism record of John Mackintosh 11th Feb 1743 shows his father Robert's occupation as a Writer in Court (which I think shows he was indeed a lawyer).

From this information I would suggest that these are extremely prominent Edinburgh families of the time especially Robert Mackintosh. Almost certainly John Mackintosh(1743) as the son of a lawyer would have gone to a good school and be well educated.

Is this the same John Mackintosh who moves to Wolsingham and ends up a chimney sweep and pauper?

I know from documents that John Mackintosh's grandson also John Mackintosh (1822)(son of William Mackintosh(1791) is illiterate.

This link between the Edinburgh and Wolsingham  Mackintoshs although very possible does seem a little weak so I do wonder how strong the oral history evidence really is.

Mctosh

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 January 15 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mctosh, a lot to take in there but you are working well, i will go over this a few times to take in properly.

Hoping to hear from you again Mctosh.

Derek

Offline drjohnmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

The confusion over Robert Hunter Macintosh is compounded by the IGI record on batch P000901 (Wolsingham) where his surname is spelt Macintost?

This batch has christenings for all 5 John & Ann children.

The name Robert comes from his paternal grandfather. It is possible that the name Hunter could come from his maternal grandfather - either as a Christian name or as a surname.

It may be worthwhile researching Robert Hunters mother Ann with Hunter as a surname.

Offline stockton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi drjohmc,

i was told some time ago on this site that Robert Hunter McIntosh's middle name might prove to be important, where would i put my posting, England/Scotland?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by all.

Many thanks.

Derek ;)