Author Topic: Italian Research  (Read 98782 times)

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ITALIAN RESEARCH
« Reply #234 on: Thursday 24 May 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hey Steve,

Just the kind of thread I was looking for.

I'm trying to get a birth, death and potentially a marriage certificate for my Italian ancestor, who moved to the UK.

Some general information about him:

Given name(s): Giovanni
Surname: Battista
Birthdate: 19 May 1847
Birthplace: Rocca d'Arce, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy
Alternative Birthplace: Cassino, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy
Father: Antonio Battista (probably, this is listed on his marriage record to second wife)
Estimated date of death: 1901 - 1910
First record in England: 1879 (birth of his first child)

I know Giovanni Battista is a common compound first name, but his brothers have the last name Battista too.

Siblings: Vincenzo Battista & Antonio Battista (Vincenzo was living with Giovanni in 1881 census)

Death

So far, I've been focusing on his life in the UK, and I assumed he died there. Unfortunately, I and a few kind people who've done a lot of research on my behalf have not been able to find any record of his death in the UK. So, perhaps, he went back to his home country for a visit or whatever other reason and died there. Here's my thread in the UK section attempting to find his death record in the UK: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793871.0

Maybe a longshot. Hopefully, he went back to his home commune.

Birth

I have two locations for birth in Italy. The first is from FamilySearch, someone transcribed a record from "Registro dello stato civile di Rocca d'Arce, FHL film 1170678, LDS Family History Library". They have written that the record mentions a Giovanni Battista born in Rocca d'Arce, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy on the 19th of May, 1847. I don't have access to the original record, so I don't know how accurate this is.

The second location of birth is Cassino, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy. The following records list Cassino as Giovanni's birthplace: 1881, 1891 and 1901 England Census. His brothers Antonio and Vincenzo also list their birthplace as Cassino in England Censuses (all 3 brothers moved to North East England).

I understand that Rocca d'Arce and Cassino are approximately 25km away from each other, not too far.

I'm not sure which one it is, as all the UK records say Cassino, but the FamilySearch record is transcribed as Rocca d'Arce.

EDIT: Just received information from River Tyne Lass about Giovanni's father, it's listed as Antoni (Antonio) Battista on his marriage record to his second wife.

Not sure if you have the marriage record for Giovanni and Anastasia  but I have found this at Tyne and Wear Archives that they married on 14 February 1901 at St Cuthbert, RC in North Shields.  If you don't have it already - this is another to add to your records. :)

'Giovanni Battista ex North Shields son of Antoni Battista & Anastasiam Whalen ex Willington Quay daughter of Timothei Finley.'.

Marriage

This record isn't as important to me as the birth or death, however I do want to be completely sure of his marriage.

I know Giovanni marries an Elizabeth Ellen Lawson in England, 1885. Yet, in the 1881 England Census, he is listed as being married to a Lizabetta Battista who is written down as from Italy. Now, I'm pretty sure this is just a mistake and this is Elizabeth Lawson, but I do want to be sure.

----

How would I go about obtaining a birth and death certificate for Giovanni? Any thoughts on the above information?
Battista
Lawson

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
Lisa in California,
Post again as the previous did'nt go.

I am taking the marriage as being in Loano in 1901 and have e-mailed for the certificate and hopefully they will look without day/month.  Loano is in the Province of Savona, which is next door to the Province of Genova.  The surname is Durante and not Durarte. The reason I think it is Loano is because of the following:_

Simoni Gimelli born 08/09/1878 in Loano.  Father Angelo Gimelli born 1854.   Also found this record:-  Francesca Maria Giuseppina Gimelli born 03/05/1902.  Father Simone Gerolamo Gimelli born 1878 in Loano.  Mother Bianca Durante.  Possible the mother had a middle name?  It is signed by Simone Gimelli - without Gerolamo.  Btw. Giuseppina would be Josaphine in english.

So lets see what Loano comes up with now.

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Lisa in California,

Lisa, forgot to mention that that the mother of Simone Gimelli (1878) was a certain Francisca Gherardi.

Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Thursday 24 May 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve:

Thank you very much!  Yesterday, I just started researching this family again and your results perfectly match the little that I have found so far. 

...Simoni Gimelli born 08/09/1878 in Loano...
Francesca Maria Giuseppina Gimelli born 03/05/1902.

U.S. World War I Registration shows a Simone Gimelli with a birth date of 8 Sept 1878.  There is also a California Death Index showing his birth date as 8 Sep 1878.

There is a California death index for "Josephine" (mother - Durante) who had a birth date of 3 May 1902.  The California marriage index lists her as Josephine F Gimelli so that also matches what you found.

...I am taking the marriage as being in Loano in 1901 and have e-mailed for the certificate and hopefully they will look without day/month.

I hope they are able to look but if not, what you have found is amazing and is very helpful.  Thank you also for explaining about the provinces.  Kind regards, Lisa   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline cbocca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 24 May 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
Steve,
Hello, my name is Charlene.
I'm trying to find the siblings of my great grandmother, Antognia Bono. As far as I know she was born about 1860 in San Giorgio, Ciconio, Torino.  She married Carlo Mattioda (birth: 1860).  There's a large group of Bono family members in Canada but I don't know how my great grandmother is related which is why I'd like to find out who her siblings are.  I have a tree on Ancestry where I've included possible sibling but I don't know if this is accurate.
Her son, my grandfather, Giovanni Battista Mattioda was born in Ciconio, Torino in 1881 as far as I know.  He had 3 sisters: Modesta (birth: 1890) Domenica (birth: 1883) and Margherita Lucia (birth: 1885).  From what I know some of Antognia's children were born in Ciconio and Castellamonte.  I don't know how close these towns are, though.  I don't know if Antognia had other children...someone mentioned that there was a twin brother.  My grandfather died in 1922 and I didn't know his sisters.  Through Ancestry, I've found relatives of his sisters but haven't been able to get info regarding anything in Italy.  In addition to my great grandmother's siblings and her parents, I'd like info regarding her children...birth/marriage certificates.  (My grandfather and his sisters immigrated to Canada and the United States.  To my knowledge none returned to Italy, even for a visit.)
Thanks for your help!
Charlene
Mattioda
Bono
Giacoma
Maniscalco
Bica

Offline gaynor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Friday 25 May 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
Giovanni Battista , of 89,Finchley Road , Hampstead , Middlesex , died 16th May 1931 at The Italian Hospital , Queen Square , Middlesex . His widow was Camilla Battista .
Is this your  Giovanni ?

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Friday 25 May 18 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
Giovanni Battista , of 89,Finchley Road , Hampstead , Middlesex , died 16th May 1931 at The Italian Hospital , Queen Square , Middlesex . His widow was Camilla Battista .
Is this your  Giovanni ?

Hey gaynor,

Thanks for the help! I've replied to you on my thread, to help keep this thread free from clutter. Here you go: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793871.msg6504998#msg6504998 :)
Battista
Lawson

Offline cbocca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Friday 25 May 18 06:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  No, this isn't my grandfather.  His full name is Giovanni Battista Mattioda...Battista was his middle name.  He died in Butte, Montana in 1922.  I'm interested in finding info regarding his mother, Antognia Bono, who married Carlo Mattioda.  My grandfather's mother stayed in Italy so I'll need info from Italy.
Thanks again for looking into this,
Charlene
Mattioda
Bono
Giacoma
Maniscalco
Bica

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Friday 25 May 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Lisa in California

Lisa,
Speed of lightening!!  E-mailed last night Loano and got a reply this morning.  Never had a reply so quick.

Birth Certificate:  GIMELLI, Simone 08/09/1878 Loano.  Added name afterwards Girolamo.
Birth Certificate:  DURANTE, Bianca 21/10/1878 Loano. Added name afterwards in blank and that must be Maria.  Father DURANTE, Giobatta and mother POLLA, Maddelena.
Marriage Certificate: GIMELLI, Simone Gerolamo born 08/09/1878 Loano and DURANTE, Bianca born 21/10/1878 Loano.

If you would like the certificates that don't need translating as they are self-explanatory send me a PM with your e-mail.

Regards

Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy