Author Topic: Edward Orpen  (Read 7538 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Orpen
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 November 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Sparrett - Samuel died 1826 )
Ebch

Yes, I noted this in reply #20 ;D

It is good you are pleased with the outcomes and findings ;D

During the process of this inquiry I was browsing some online trees and family histories related to the ORPENs in Australia and must say you (and we) now know more about them than most who have published material.

Sad the Edward died only a couple of years into his sentence. >:(

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 November 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes Neil - I had come across a marriage in 1816 of what appears to be two brothers, Lieuts. Redmond and Merrion Moriarty R.N. to  Dorcas and Anne, daughters of Edward Orpen of Kerry.  But that Edward Orpen died I think 1817 before my Edward left Ireland.  Any of their children would be .......Orpen Moriartys.   Glad I am not sorting out their offspring!  But the information might be useful to anyone researching Edward Orpen Moriarty in Australia,  the engineer?
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Just in case anyone is following the Orpen Moriarty line - Whilst tidying away I found a note that
REDMOND MORIARTY married ANNE ORPEN and had 4 sons, one a barrister, and 7 daughters.  There is a very detailed obit for MERRION MORIARTY in Cork Examiner April 1864 going back to Admiral Moriarty and through the Admiral giving links to Daniel O'Connell :)

Offline kermie62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ebch

Are you researching Edward Orpen out of curiosity or is he family.

There is a very large facebook group of his descendants via his daughter Maria who married Adam Sproule (plus some of the descendants of Maria's brother) and they are having a reunion in a couple of months

Offline kermie62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aussie - that is really kind of you.  My gut feeling is that he was joined in Dec 1824 by some of his family and that Maria Orpen could have been his wife Maria Crumpe Orpen.  He did leave behind, when transported,  a wife and eight children.  Look forward to seeing if you can get further information.  Meanwhile I am happy to search anything you need here in England.

Edwards wife was Maria Crumpe Orpen. His daughter was also called Maria Orpen. The family came out to Australa following him on the Lang. He came over on the Sir Godfrey Webster

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 July 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
No,not family rather a link in a Daniel O'Connell story but thank you for your reply.

Offline SandieM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 02 June 19 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thank you for this wonderful information. I've just started researching Edward on behalf of a descendent and your info has really helped. Could anyone possibly advise what the name of the Facebook group is? Cheers

Offline Luke3938

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, 🇦🇺
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 January 21 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this is my first post so apologies for any errors/issues.

The Edward ORPEN that you mentioned, the individual married to Maria Crumpe (reportedly his cousin) had the children:
 - Richard
 - Samuel
 - Daniel
 - John Wood
 - Grace
 - Mary
 - Anne
 - Lucinda

This Edward Orpen is son of Richard of Ardtully Orpen, son of (another) Richard of Ardtully Orpen, son of (yet another) Richard of Ardtully Orpen, son of Richard Orpen of the White House who is married to Isabella Palmer.

I have found this information in "A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain & Ireland, Volume 2" by Bernard Burke, which if you search in Google you will locate an online copy of, I am referring to just at the top of page 1031.

The Orpen - Moriarty line is a different line of the Orpen family with a different Edward Orpen (I am assembling my own version of the family links based on this source and a second source, so far I have located 6(!) individual Edward Orpen's). Major Edward Orpen of Killowen married to Elanor Connor, and had many children including Anne.

Lieutenant Redmond Moriarty and Merion Marshall Moriarty M.D. married Dorcas Orpen and Anne Orpen respectively, both of whom are sons of Admiral Sylverius Moriarty and daughters of Edward Orpen respecitvly (this is detailed in the Limerick Advertiser from 1816) [Anne married Merion, not Redmond].

Both Merion and Anne are buried in St Thomas Rest Park, Crows Nest, Sydney, Australia. I visited the location, and (my) photograph of the grave can be seen here: wikidata.org/wiki/Q104831632 and a photograph of the plaque attached here: wikidata.org/wiki/Q104828293. Note that the Sylverius Moriarty mentioned on the plaque is not the aforementioned Admiral Moriarty, but if I recall correctly, one of the children of Merion & Anne.

Thank you for all the information in this thread. Please alert me to any errors I may have made as the Moriarty - Orpen line is one to which I am directly descended.

Luke

Offline Luke3938

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, 🇦🇺
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 January 21 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention, your original Edward Orpen is the first cousin once removed of Major Edward Orpen of Killowen. Major Orpen is son of Rev. Thomas Orpen & Agnes Herbert. Thomas is son of Captain Richard Orpen & Isabella Palmer.