Author Topic: Henry Monkton Herbert  (Read 10558 times)

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Monkton Herbert
« on: Friday 21 November 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find my Henry Monkton Herbert's lineage for over 6 years. Recently I discovered that there is a Monkton Priory in Pembrokshire and wonder if he may have come from there or been baptised there.
Lately it has been discovered that my Barlow family in Ireland who are said to have come from Slebech Pemrokshire and lived on a property in Wexford next to the le Hunte family are connected in Pembokeshire. Hopefully my Herberts come into this picture.
Henry Monkton Herbert married Jane Barlow. Marriage licence Dublin 1804.
Hopefully someone is able to make sense of this and point me further in my search. I would be so grateful.
Lefayre Palmer.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Monkton Herbert
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 November 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
This is nothing to do with possible Pembrokeshire connections but I have found an adult baptism for Henry's son Thomas William Herbert at St Jude Bethnal Green on December 24th 1848. It gives a date of birth of 27th March 1815 and says that his father Henry Moncton Herbert was a captain in the army. The Rev Thomas William Herbert was chaplain at Borough Prison in Devonport in the early 1850's so was presumably ordained circa 1848-50.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 November 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
This is nothing to do with possible Pembrokeshire connections but I have found an adult baptism for Henry's son Thomas William Herbert at St Jude Bethnal Green on December 24th 1848. It gives a date of birth of 27th March 1815 and says that his father Henry Moncton Herbert was a captain in the army. The Rev Thomas William Herbert was chaplain at Borough Prison in Devonport in the early 1850's so was presumably ordained circa 1848-50.

As Henry was an officer in the army the London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/ would be a good place to look for his regiment and promotions. There may be surviving military records which give a clue as to Henry's origins.

Good hunting!
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 November 14 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any Henry Herberts in the army lists for 1797 or 1806.

There's a Captain Henry Monckton in 24th Dragoons in the 1797 list. He's a Major on the "Irish Half-Pay" list in 1806. (It's not him - he becomes a General in later life and dies in 1854).

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 November 14 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any Henry Herberts in the army lists for 1797 or 1806.

There's a Captain Henry Monckton in 24th Dragoons in the 1797 list. He's a Major on the "Irish Half-Pay" list in 1806. (It's not him - he becomes a General in later life and dies in 1854).

I have been looking for Henry, but can't see him yet.  As he was described as an army captain at his son's adult baptism in 1848 is it possible that he had not yet joined the army when Thomas W was born in 1815, or that he was in a part-time militia?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 November 14 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking at various online threads and trees, he was an army officer when son Henry Arthur was born in Glasgow (Gorbals) in 1808. Could be militia

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Shaunj and Phillipsearching. I had no idea about Thomas William Herbert's adult baptism and now wonder why. He was born in Ireland, his birth date 1815 .given on the baptism is also new to me, we had his birth date as circa 1819 assumed from his age given on his death certificate. I have quite a bit of information on him gleaned from newspapers courtesy of a lady in Dublin. My main aim however is to discover the ancestry of Henry Monkton Herbert. I notice my first listing says I have been looking for him for over 6 years it is actually 60 years. I have had great success on my own and my husband's lines over that time but Henry Monkton Herbert has chosen to lead me a merry dance. Over the years army lists have been explored to no avail and the idea of militia does seem a possibility. As the family and the Barlow family into which Henry Monkton Herbert married lived in Wexford and Arklow  around a very troublesome time I expect they would have been involved.
Thank you both so very much you have opened my eyes to new avenues of thought.
Lefayre

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I know that in another forum you have contemplated the possibility that Henry was illegitimate,related to the Earls of Pembroke.Given that the 10th Earl,Henry Herbert(1734-1794) was known for this,and that his legitimate son 11th Earl,was a George Augustus(1759-1827),also"Lord" as per your family tradition-could the 10th Earl be a candidate father?
If the Mercers Hospital record for 1844 is HMH,therefore born circa 1784,the 10th Earl would have been approx. 50 years old.
I can't find a detailed online record re these children,but the following(item 1) might be worth enquiring about-either directly to the centre or on the Wiltshire board if someone local could visit.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F64526

Regards
Roger

Offline lefayre palmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Roger, yes I have entertained this idea especially as the name Augustus appears early in deeds regarding Henry Monkton Herbert and his son Henry Arthur Augustus Herbert.  There is a Henry Herbert 1775 appearing on a tree of (From memory George Augustus Herbert) I haven't been able to track. I had also thought it might have been that my HMH descended from Augustus Montgomery the natural child of the 10Th Earl and Kitty Hunter. I have a copy of the Pembroke Papers' 'Henry, George and Elizabeth''. I have also been informed that it is possible if the Henry at Mercers Hospital, this is in Dublin, is ours it is possible he was a patient of one of the professors and not a general patient. HMH's son George published a book about the hospital to which he wrote added notes. He gave family information about a number of the people connected but did not divulge anything about his own family. Lefayre.